Do I have a 1-2 shift problem or???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At light to medium throttle, the trans makes the 1-2 shift smoothly and immediately. At medium to heavy throttle, it delays the shift -- in that we're not in 1 and we're not yet in two for probably half a second, maybe a little longer. Probably retards the power as well-- feels like it. Trans works great in all other realms, and all other shifts are great under all throttle settings.

I probably should know if this is normal, having had it for a year plus and 21k miles, but a: I don't remember for sure, and b: I rarely get on it so I don't operate within the parameters that create the issue -- most of the time. Fluid is in good condition.

It is a 4L60E. 5.7 Vortec, 99 Tahoe.

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I got more paranoid after I started towing the boat lol (about 3500 lbs including trailer). I even changed all the fluid in the trans system before towing the first time! It tows just fine, but now I wish I had a lot more power. I towed the boat 550 miles, up the Tehachapi grade (CA Hwy 58) and up the long grade out of Baker, CA (nb interstate 15). I was able to pull the first one at about 40 mph (was pretty hot that day and I did not want to push it) and the second one at about 50 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700