dmax 3.0 and the cold (-30F)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's dmax 3.0 has 7k miles on it, first time out in cold temps, 500 mile trip in -20F to -30F (ambient not Windchill).

Are others seeing these issues?
- The center console is cold, like really really cold (water freezes and a phone on the wireless charging plate will stop charging and throw a temp alarm). The coldest spots being right under the phone and under the cup holders.
- At idle with a slight breeze coming from the rear of the vehicle during a regen it absolutely stinks in the cab, to the level of getting headaches. During a regen it the exhaust stinks, totally get that, but this winter the smell is really bad in the cab. If you drive or turn into the wind the smell goes a way.

Called dealer, they haven't had complaints on either of these items but they are going to look at it. Anyone else experiencing these during cold temps? We didn't notice either of these during the summer / fall.

ESH427

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was recently in -20 ambient and didn't notice any abnormal console temps.

Regarding the regen smell, I did notice it very strong when it was quite new (<500 miles) but not since. What was strange for me is it seemed like our DEF consumptions was very high (like 5 gallons in 2500 miles - not towing)

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update
Wife took the truck to the local dealer; the following is what they told her:
- Exhaust smell: GM has a bulletin out, the back pressure valve failed its test. New part ordered, no eta on its arrival
- Cold console: Dealer doesn't know how to fix it, opened a case with GM, no response from GM nor do they have an eta as to when a response will happen

It's -30F today, we have another 500 mile trip tonight and tomorrow, the Denali XL is staying put until these issues are resolved. If anyone else has gone through either of these please post a response. Per the dealer I purchased this from it was the only denali diesel suv they were able to get in, so no others to compare against (lots of pickups, they operate as intended).

Ken Rolls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife's dmax 3.0 has 7k miles on it, first time out in cold temps, 500 mile trip in -20F to -30F (ambient not Windchill).

Are others seeing these issues?
- The center console is cold, like really really cold (water freezes and a phone on the wireless charging plate will stop charging and throw a temp alarm). The coldest spots being right under the phone and under the cup holders.
- At idle with a slight breeze coming from the rear of the vehicle during a regen it absolutely stinks in the cab, to the level of getting headaches. During a regen it the exhaust stinks, totally get that, but this winter the smell is really bad in the cab. If you drive or turn into the wind the smell goes a way.

Called dealer, they haven't had complaints on either of these items but they are going to look at it. Anyone else experiencing these during cold temps? We didn't notice either of these during the summer / fall.
Precisely why IMHO new vehicles are more trouble than they're worth.. I'll keep my 02 burb til the wheels fall off.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...
The exhaust regen issue is due to a bad 'pressure valve' within the exhaust system, part has been ordered (FYI, for other diesel owners GM has an open bulletin for this)
The center console issue per GM is a problem with the 'auto' hvac capability, not diesel specific, more so a denali issue.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...
The exhaust regen issue is due to a bad 'pressure valve' within the exhaust system, part has been ordered (FYI, for other diesel owners GM has an open bulletin for this)
The center console issue per GM is a problem with the 'auto' hvac capability, not diesel specific, more so a denali issue.
Did they have any fix on the center console issue? I just noticed for first time today when I picked up my cell phone from the wireless charging pad it was freezing --- and this after being in the car for about an hour. The pad was ice cold as well -- and its in the 20s here today, nothing extreme. Wondering how HVAC is responsible for that -- it must be cold air coming from underneath.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they have any fix on the center console issue? I just noticed for first time today when I picked up my cell phone from the wireless charging pad it was freezing --- and this after being in the car for about an hour. The pad was ice cold as well -- and its in the 20s here today, nothing extreme. Wondering how HVAC is responsible for that -- it must be cold air coming from underneath.
Concerning the console heat issue, per the dealer once GM got back to the tech (the tech created a case with them) GM provided instructions for the tech to follow. Sounded like GM is aware of the problem and it isn't specific to diesel versions. The truck hasn't been back to the dealer as we are still waiting parts for the other issue.

More intel on the behavior:
When it's cold outside if you turn your hvac off and hold your hand directly above the charging pad you don't feel a breeze. But then turn on the hvac to 'auto' do you feel a cold breeze (and the rest of the vents are putting out heat)? On my wife's truck it is very obvious when the temp is say -10F or lower (we are in a -20 to -30F stretch right now) AND the vehicle is warmed up. My guess is that the auto setting is drawing outside air directly into the cabin at the center console, but that behavior isn't the normal as the other 2021's I've been around don't behave the same (I've tried this on other 2021 denali's).

Steve Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did anyone ever get any resolution to this? My 2023 Tahoe has cold air coming from the space between the console cell phone pocket, and the bottom of the dash. When it was -30C, I could feel the cold air on my face. It seems to get worse at highway speeds and when I turn the fan higher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts