DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CREGAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys- new to the forum and my Tahoe, but soaking up all the info like a sponge! Did the Swiss cheese mod tonight. Looks and sounds good. Just cleaning my K&N to put back in tomorrow. I took pics but haven't figured out how to post yet.

I do have a question though- Do I have to disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while to reset the computer now?

Thanks
Craig

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually this does nothing
this mythhasbeen busted
when they did the experiment the only way they increased horse power by a tad was running a hose outside the vehicle and sticking it on the front bumper and they increased it be 2 or 3 hp the factory intake gives the most hp over the aftermarket intakes as well as jerry riggen or modifying the factory system
and this is fact not opinion the cars were run on a dyno with each intake setup less HP every time

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

we also did experiments at UTI
some creative student who actually bought a K&N intake for his honda we stuck it on the dyno and it actually had less HP then the factory intake

Your comparing a 1.6L engine to a 5.3 or 6.0L engine.

The intake on my 96 integra is bigger than the opening in the fender on my 6.0L Denali.

Is this mod going to make a HUGE difference? No, but it costs nothing, and the "downside" is more intake noise, and some slightly increased opportunity to hydrolock the engine I suppose. If you are kicking up tons of water in the area where this mod exposes the filter than this is not for you obviously.

I have noticed (according to my dash readout) a slight MPG improvement, and slightly more intake noise when outside the vehicle. You cannot hear the difference inside.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just swiss cheesed my airbox and dropped in a k&n. No huge difference but its a little more peppy. Im just trying to compensate for my heavy-ass tires.

here's my airbox. I could probably drill it out some more for more noticeable results. These are 1/2" holes
1IQxW68.jpg

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should have not drilled those holes..

should have cut the bottom out minus the mounting holes and removed the steel plate below the air box.
If your going to mod a oem air box, go all the way or not at all..

Last edited:

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should have not drilled those holes..

should have cut the bottom out and removed the steel plate below the air box.
If your going to mod a oem air box, go all the way or not at all..

The holes are fine since they're far below the air filter. The only possible issue with them is they might be getting warmer air since theyre next to the coolant tank.

I cant remove the plate below because thats what the airbox is fixed too. Maybe in the future I could cut out a square hole in both the plate and box and but steel mesh over the hole but I don't have the tools right now.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't see this working. Has anyone dyno tested this? I just don't see why GM would not do this if it gave added MPG and better throttle response. Engineers at GM could not figure it out?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't see this working. Has anyone dyno tested this? I just don't see why GM would not do this if it gave added MPG and better throttle response. Engineers at GM could not figure it out?

Aftermarket intakes have dyno confirmed performance increases. There are other trade offs. Noise, cost, and extreme weather situations were all taken into account when these were designed by GM. I certainly understand your skepticism, but you could say that sort of thing about all modifications.

For example Why aren't all 4l60e's built with shift kits, heavy duty sun shell's, etc when longevity and performance are improved.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can remove the plate and cut open the bottom of the box.
I know this as fact because I personally have done it to two of my own box's, and many for friends.

You cut out all material between the box mounting holes. It completely opens the bottom of the box. then you simple bolt it down to the fender.

This give you a HUGE straight shot for air flow from behind the bumper and in front of tire.

Before telling someone that it cannot be done, you might try it for your self or ask how they know it works or how to do it.

modding the box in this way with a good cloth filter and a air raid Jr is IMO the best and cheapest way to get a Functional CAI that is not a complete waste of money and time installing some elaborate system.

Those BS tiny ass holes you drilled do nothing but allow hot air to enter your system, if anything you lost power due this fact.
FYI. that's not even the correct location to do the "swiss cheese" method which BTW doesn't work worth a shit if you don't do what? REMOVE THE PLATE below the box.

/rant off
/end thread

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can remove the plate and cut open the bottom of the box.
I know this as fact because I personally have done it to two of my own box's, and many for friends.

You cut out all material between the box mounting holes. It completely opens the bottom of the box. then you simple bolt it down to the fender.

This give you a HUGE straight shot for air flow from behind the bumper and in front of tire.

Before telling someone that it cannot be done, you might try it for your self or ask how they know it works or how to do it.

modding the box in this way with a good cloth filter and a air raid Jr is IMO the best and cheapest way to get a Functional CAI that is not a complete waste of money and time installing some elaborate system.

Those BS tiny ass holes you drilled do nothing but allow hot air to enter your system, if anything you lost power due this fact.
FYI. that's not even the correct location to do the "swiss cheese" method which BTW doesn't work worth a shit if you don't do what? REMOVE THE PLATE below the box.

/rant off
/end thread

Jesus F**king Christ dude, no need to flip your shit. I wasn't saying that I couldn't cut a large hole in the bottom of the plate and box, as others in this thread have done. I don't really want to bolt the box to my fender. I can still get a large amount of cold air with a large hole in the box and plate. Relax. Nobody is calling you a liar.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp