DIY Garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The shop would have a set of tools for most repair applications but the DIY'er can also bring in their tools. I am waiting to hear back from my old landlord about that shop I talked about. A DIY'er that would be drawn to this shop are apartment dwellers and most any rental property that the landlord does not allow work on vehicles or any with no garage, especially in the fall and winter. The help with the training is another value in and of itself. Repair software availability is a huge plus as well.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my former landlord. The two condo living units in front are rented but the garage out back is as well but not by the tenants of the condos. A local motorcycle club uses it for meetings and get togethers but is a month to month lease. When it gets colder and they have their meetings the landlord thinks they will start to back out of the lease. I told him that even if it is just the garage for now, or whenever it is available, I would like to rent it again. He said he would honor the same rent I paid before, $400 a month, and he said he would install an above ground lift and wants me to work on his personal and business vehicles. This could actually come together for me. It will likely be at least 6 months before I could even look in the garage again. He said that the vice I left there when I moved before is still in there. It was an old solid steel US made large 6" vice mounted to a tall stand. That thing was very heavy. You couldn't hurt it with a grenade.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you luck. There is a place in Portland for that I believe but IIIRC it’s for quick repairs only, nothing major that requires a vehicle to sit for days or weeks waiting for parts or funds. You can’t pull your trans and send it out for repairs for instance. There’s also independent small unadvertised backyard shops where you can do longer projects but they’re mostly geared up for custom projects and people with deep pockets. My nephew has one where some nice bagged hot rod projects get done, $50-$100k budgets.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I rode Harleys I worked on my friends bikes all the time and my garage was always packed and made for a nice side job for making money. They supplied all the food and drink while I was on their bike and paid well. I could also teach them at the same time. The only person I have shown vehicle repair info with is family.