Ditched the 22 Snowflakes for 18" AT4 Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on this thread I purchased a set of these wheels this morning.

Still trying to decide on tires; 275/65 (32") or 285/60 (31.5"). Would like to stay as close to the currently installed 305/45-22 (32.8") section/tread widths with an SL rating...no need for XL, D, or E Load ratings. Currently leaning towards the 285/60 for appearance and that I'm considering a 2/4, but may end up going the 275/65 route...still undecided.
I have whatever stock trailboss tire size is fits great 285 65 18 i think

OP
OP
K2 Kaiju

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on this thread I purchased a set of these wheels this morning.

Still trying to decide on tires; 275/65 (32") or 285/60 (31.5"). Would like to stay as close to the currently installed 305/45-22 (32.8") section/tread widths with an SL rating...no need for XL, D, or E Load ratings. Currently leaning towards the 285/60 for appearance and that I'm considering a 2/4, but may end up going the 275/65 route...still undecided.
So you are doing a drop? Honestly, I only see drops on bigger wheels while lifts generally go smaller; you may be the first I have seen want a drop with 18s. That being said, post up what you decide - I imagine 285s would be the choice here...

koachdaddy

Reaction score
So you are doing a drop? Honestly, I only see drops on bigger wheels while lifts generally go smaller; you may be the first I have seen want a drop with 18s. That being said, post up what you decide - I imagine 285s would be the choice here...

Honestly, not sure if I'm going to lower it but either way, as I get older, I'm more about function over fashion. At 6'3" I can pretty much slide in but still use the step to exit. Lower it 2" and I'll be golden...easy entry/exit. May be enough to remove the running boards...? Well, that's until the 5'3" wife complains lol.

To further this point, it's the reason I'm going down to 18's. I tried 20's in XL and there wasn't much ride difference so I sold them and reinstalled the 22's...as of late I've decided to give 18's a-go. Especially after reading the positive feedback in this thread.

285/60 = 31.5" is stock OD for an LS trim but to me is too much gap when compared to the 32.8" that are currently installed. Meaning, a 2" drop on a stock LS with 18" doesn't look out of sorts. Yeah, at this point I'm splitting hairs over appearance, cost, and comfort to obtain the objective. But hey, you want what you want...

Last edited:

bad_idea

Reaction score
I just put some 20" wheels with 275/60r20 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts from a '22 Sierra Friday. Much happier with the ride and appearance. Was also cheaper than a new set of tires. I now have a set of 22" snowflakes to sell too. Any ideas what they go for?

new tires.jpg

OP
OP
K2 Kaiju

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put some 20" wheels with 275/60r20 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts from a '22 Sierra Friday. Much happier with the ride and appearance. Was also cheaper than a new set of tires. I now have a set of 22" snowflakes to sell too. Any ideas what they go for?

View attachment 424520
So I put them on craiglist for very little interest, then did facebook marketplace and sold them in a few days for $1600 (lots of lowballs - just ignore them). I am in DFW. I sold the take off wranglers for $250 there as well which was a very nice bonus. FBM is the place now, see what others are asking and under cut them by $100. Just be careful and do all exchanges at a local police station with cash only. All said, my conversion cost me $50 plus a little leg work, but I got brand new tires and TPMS. Definitely worth it...

bad_idea

Reaction score
Wow. I was expecting $400 or so for them, the tires are no good. I spent $900 on the set I have now and would be happy to break even.

OP
OP
K2 Kaiju

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowflakes were a 3k option in 2018. Mine were in good shape with good tread. Wheels alone are 1k all day unless really beat up...

bad_idea

Reaction score
I sold the wheels for $850 on Marketplace yesterday. I had over 50 people contact me about them with ~10 ready to buy them for full asking. I was asking $750, someone messaged me offering $850 if I would hold them for him. Amusingly enough, I had plenty of $400 offers too.

Thatguywins1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Saved 15lbs per corner - 60lb total unsprung weight, and it is like night and day. I can really appreciate the Magnaride now. Gone is the strange wobbly feeling I felt with the 22s. Its beautiful now on some really bumpy curves. Much better than the premium smooth ride 18" combo on my burb as well.

The 265/70r18 Conti Terrain Contact ATs are a bit more aggressive in life than I expected seeing pics, but they still ride very smooth. No rubbing on stock ride height. I know its not quite as purdy as it was with the 22s but the ride quality is 100% worth it to me...p

Them snowflakes sure would look good on my 01 Tahoe

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing this same thing on my 17 Denali. It had 22" OEM wheels and they were pretty rough when I bought the truck last fall. I just replaced them with another set of 22" I bought brand new and the ride around town isn't horrible, but sure gets rough pretty quick on some bumpy/crappy side roads. AT4 wheels I can find all day on FB Marketplace around by me for $400 for the wheels only and if I want some with tires that have 60% tread left on them gets to be around $1200 or so. Still on the fence about it since I haven't even had the wheels I paid for over a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660