Ditch Z85 air shocks or stick with them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Z85 air shocks have been nothing but trouble, so far I've had to replace both of the rear shocks and now the air compressor has died so now my rear is sagging as I had originally leveled out the front with the rear.

I'm debating on just getting a pair of Bilstein 5100s for the rear as it's the same price for them as it is for a replacement rear air compressor.

I don't tow at all and if/when I sell the truck I'd replace the rear air compressor but right now I'm tired of it.

Is it worth just replacing the rear air compressor or should I switch over to standard shocks?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of people get rid of the air shocks. All depends what you want with the vehicle.

i leveled my wifes denali, so i really like the air shocks to keep the rig from looking like the ass is sagging when we load it up with people/cargo. I would never get rid of the option for our use, i really like it. However, have not have any issues with it though either. Still running the factory compressor after 5 years and 120k miles.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How many miles on it? Sounds like you’re already halfway through the replacement cycle, having done the shocks. If the air compressor is going to give you another 150k of trouble free air ride, and you’re going to buy it anyway later then might as well do that now.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Depends what you use it for. I load mine with concrete, lumber, bags of sand, and tow a 5k boat (not all at the same time) so I’d never get rid of it. It’s the first rig I’ve owned with it and any other rig I buy will have it.

OP
OP
Solace

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up just replacing the air compressor. Quite simple honestly, and I didn't want to potentially compromise towing capacity especially when going to resell.

Mattbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Related question here from a noob. If I have air suspension in rear on my ‘16 Tahoe LT, is there anything special I would need to do to replace with Billstein 5100s and Moog rear springs (I believe this would add roughly 1” to rear)?
My local shop in AZ said it would not work (that the Billstein 5100s would not be a replacement for airbag suspension).
This could have to do with my confusion over airbag vs magnaride. As far as I know, I do not have magnaride, but so have air suspension in the rear (is that called auto-ride?). Apologies if this is in another thread already.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related question here from a noob. If I have air suspension in rear on my ‘16 Tahoe LT, is there anything special I would need to do to replace with Billstein 5100s and Moog rear springs (I believe this would add roughly 1” to rear)?
My local shop in AZ said it would not work (that the Billstein 5100s would not be a replacement for airbag suspension).
This could have to do with my confusion over airbag vs magnaride. As far as I know, I do not have magnaride, but so have air suspension in the rear (is that called auto-ride?). Apologies if this is in another thread already.
Shocks and springs like you have mentioned, and you will also need resistors wired into the pigtail at rear shock to fool the computer so that it thinks they’re plugged in. Otherwise you will end up with a service suspension system error message coming up in the cluster.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 3 parts to your question. Magnetic ride, I believe is the z95 option, z55 is auto leveling in the rear and electronic dampening. My rig is older but it sounds like you have what I do which is electronic dampening and auto leveling in the rear. I can’t help on the Bilstein shocks but @adventurenali92 is right on about resistors. I just put Arnott air shocks on the rear and they came with resistors.

Mattbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks @Big Mama and @adventurenali92 for your insight. Initially I wanted an added inch of lift to the rears so the Billstein with Moog springs was my plan. I had the Billsteins put on the front at the highest setting to fit my wheel/tire setup, but I think I have room to spare and could lower down a bit so I wouldn't need any rear lift for appearance reasons. The ride right now is pretty rough and hoping the rear replacements will smooth it out. [honestly I'm a little regretting going to 22s with AT tires].
Now I am thinking the Arnott is a better option for the rears. I will research (just seems more plug and play). With respect to the Arnotts, is replacing the compressor also usually required? About 60k on this '16 Tahoe and the shocks are completely rusted out and need replacing for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345