Distributor choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so here is my question
acdelco distributor are not out of the question but but i cant see spending 300 dollars on a factory oem part if i can possibly just wind up with the same problems ive already had. obviously cheap reman distributors are already ruled out. ive tried an msd and loved it for 9 months before it destroyed itself. i needed to fix it quickly so i bought a new distributor the auto parts store had i think it was carquest. i had high hopes as it had the metal tail shaft and i didnt want to take any chances so i ditched the sensor and cap and rotor and used an acdelco sensor and cap and rotor. when that died i was again tight on time and was at work so i told my wife to just tow it to the local garage we use. i haven't had any problems yet but my garage was under the instructions to just fix it and fix it fast so he got whatever the parts store had. the bill parts cost puts it in the same price range as the last one i bought.

so now im where im at the truck is running good with a completely unknown distributor and im not feeling comfortable about it. so lets skip ahead past all the i should have just bought an ac delco whole distributor from the start. i did some searches and davis distributors, skip white dizzy, ac delco dizzy, and sunlit made a comment in a post regarding an msd ignition setup he runs but i cant find that anymore. so what has everyone used with no issues for years? i dont want a distributor i need to seal a cap on it or poke out the vent screens or drill bigger vent holes as ive come across my searches outside of this forum.

if you have read that far thank you for reading my post in full and i appreciate your time.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

I think the one Sunlit was referring to is the 6AL from MSD if I remember correctly, but, in my opinion, I don’t think that’s necessary for these motors. Wouldn’t hurt though.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya well id definitely go with that statement but as the first time was self inflicted and i bought a crap distributor when i bought the truck just to make it run right again. then i bought the msd street fire distributor which left me stranded on a major highway and i missed work. third time was with a new quality dizzy main metal body with ac delco parts swapped in and it left my wife and my 2 small children on the side of the road. now its running the unknown distributor and i would like to see what options are reliable so i can atleast have a good trustable spare around. that way if it does die again im atleast not at the mercy of whatever i can find available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9