Disappointed..... need help with possible new setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an Fi ssd12 last summer but i didnt really know much and ordered one with dual 2ohm vc's which makes it extremely hard to get the full power out of it. Right now its just running at 800w(only way to wire it with these vc's) off my kenwood x1200m. Im not very satisfied with the outcome of that combo and im thinking about possibly rethinking my setup.

Im not saying its 100% yet but i was thinking about doing something with 2-4x 8" subs. I dont really know what companies make good 8's so hopefully thats where you guys come in. If you could shoot me some links to some powerful 8's and a good amp to run em off of. Any info is appreciated as always.

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
kenwood makes decent amp but it would not be my first choice on a sub like that. just because it says its one ohm stable doesn't mean it will make more power at one ohm. in all actuality it prob makes less and damping factor( the ability for the amp to control the sub)is in the toilet. i would look for an amp that is more stable at one ohm.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is it that you're lacking?

The enclosure is a larger dictator of sound that any other factor when doing a sub stage.

Post up the specs to your box, and then your goals with the new system, chances are, a new box could be your solution. It'd be much cheaper than going out and buying all new gear, and would likely get you the result you're after. You have a good sub, you just to channel its potential towards your goal. Any sub can be made to sound bad in the wrong enclosure, so I wouldn't write the sub off quite yet.

OP
OP
Midgetclown

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TnTahoe cant view the link for some reason.

I dont have the amp wired to 1 ohm for that reason. I like kenwood amps but i wouldnt trust it in that situation. Right now its wired to 4ohms making it 800w. And now that im saying that, thats probably the only issue..... iiiiiiim an ******** hahaha.

Right now the box is 1.2cubic ft sealed. The reason im doing sealed is because during the spring/summer i wanted to fiberglass the sub into the stock sub location and sealed allows for less space takeup. I guess at this point im not really sure if i want to do that or just make a slot ported box and make it easy to remove if needed.

Does anyone know what any of the other specs on my sub are? on the site it only says 1000w rms and nothing else. Anyone know peaks or what the potential is being wired differently?

Heres the plans to the box i was gonna try out with my sub.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/235cubes33hz325sqin3id.png/

Last edited:

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a lower end model, your not gonna have a huge amount of output with a sealed box but it requires .7-1.2 cu ft sealed so your right on the higher end... Not sure of what your preference is to what setups sound like, as in have you been listening to others setups that are louder or something...

SA-8, DC lvl2 8m2, DD 1508's, Skar vvx8's, ID IDQ 8's, critical mass ss-8's... just to name a few good ones.

OP
OP
Midgetclown

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only company that i really knew of that made 8's was Sundown. Im still fairly new to car audio but ive been reading up on a bunch of different stuff. I havent listened to much in person seeing as im pretty much the only one of my frieds/family thats into car audio or even anything to do with cars. Going with that i have to say i havent ever heard a bad review about the sa 8's and thats why i was kind of vearing towards an 8's system.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do the setup right they can do some damage. There's a vid somewhere of a truck with 4 sa 8's under the seat and its flexing the damn thing.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Fast forward to like :45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIB5ng1FRo

OP
OP
Midgetclown

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty sick.... thats kind of the reason i wanted to do an 8's system too. People always think that you need 12-18's to have a hard hitting system and i like doing things a little different. And i can finally see that link from TnTahoe and i might try to pick up some of those new sa8 v2's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24