Disappointed in ride quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron McKuin

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Tahoe High Country with 6.2 engine. I just returned from the dealer where I had complained about the ride and cabin noise level.

I have told them that it rides like it has 100 psi in tires! Make bumping and rumbling noise on road? It is very agrivating. They acknowledged the noise and said they checked it over. Found nothing!? Returned it to me saying it was normal?? Blamed the noise and bumpy ride on the operation of the 6.2 engine??

Anyone else experienced this issue? Found a solution? What can I do next to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the air suspension on your HC? I don't totally love the ride on my At4 6.2 w/air - it can be a little harsh over bumps. I held out for the MRC + Air combo thinking that would give the best ride. Many of the reviews i read raved about it 'floating down the road' and i certainly can't agree with that after a few months of ownership. The 6.2l weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the 5.3l IIRC - so the 5.3l front end may feel a little lighter but I don't know why the dealer would connect ride noise to your 6.2l. There shouldnt be any rumbling .... there is a bulletin about noise coming from the wheel liners on '21's. I'll try to find and post that..

Actually Like2detail had posted it recently in another thread : Link

tabraha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My MRC+Air rides as smooth as my LX570 and my Model S with adaptive air suspension.

If you don't have air ride and there is clunking they need to run through to make sure everything is tightened up from the factory. When I took delivery of my ZL1 I had to go back at 100 miles as the sway bar was flopping around up front. Just was never tightened up when it was built evidently. Fortunately I'd worn out bushings on swaybars at the track before and recognized the noise LOL.

Regardless, the dealer blaming the engine for harsh ride and bumping noises is not correct. I don't care what engine it is. I also agree the wheel liners could be flopping too. Hadn't seen that thread. I think the mud caked on my liners keeps them from moving! :rotflmao:

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing these don't have selectable ride settings.

You might try to test drive another HC w/air ride if you can find one otherwise you could take it to another dealer.

What tire came on it, some ride very hard. How many lbs. pressure?

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an SLT with 4WD, no Air ride or Magnetic Ride control.

I am not impressed with the in-city ride quality, very jittery and you feel just about every little pebble in the road.

Now the highway ride quality is very good and almost floaty.

Once I changed out the tires, I seen a small improvement in ride quality. My guess is that the shock tuning is to blame, but I am no engineer.

Our previous SUV was 2017 Ford Explorer and the ride quality was way better. So I am bit disappointed, heck my 2020 Ram truck has a better ride quality.

All that said, the wife is over the moon for our Yukon and has never complained, its her DD so I just figured it was me being a bit to picky.;)

OP
OP
R

Ron McKuin

Reaction score
Do you have the air suspension on your HC? I don't totally love the ride on my At4 6.2 w/air - it can be a little harsh over bumps. I held out for the MRC + Air combo thinking that would give the best ride. Many of the reviews i read raved about it 'floating down the road' and i certainly can't agree with that after a few months of ownership. The 6.2l weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the 5.3l IIRC - so the 5.3l front end may feel a little lighter but I don't know why the dealer would connect ride noise to your 6.2l. There shouldnt be any rumbling .... there is a bulletin about noise coming from the wheel liners on '21's. I'll try to find and post that..

Do not have air ride but the magnetic control suspension. Thanks for info.

OP
OP
R

Ron McKuin

Reaction score
I'm guessing these don't have selectable ride settings.

You might try to test drive another HC w/air ride if you can find one otherwise you could take it to another dealer.

What tire came on it, some ride very hard. How many lbs. pressure?
Came with Bridgestone Alenza 275-50 R22. I run 34 psi in the tires. I have tried more and less air with no difference? Thanks

OP
OP
R

Ron McKuin

Reaction score
Came with Bridgestone Alenza 275-50 R22. I run 34 psi in the tires. I have tried more and less air with no difference? Thanks
I do have 3-4 ride settings. Normal, off road, tow haul and maybe another? Thanks

Koepp2637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having a previous and current generation Denali/AT4. I noticed difference with the vehicles riding on 22" vs 20", so tire size and brand does make a difference.

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow - love the fact that the fix is "use duck tape - obtained locally". Does my dad work there??? :happy175:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700