Disable all chimes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a discontinued device to power up the stock radio (PAC GMLAN29ON)
I'm considering to install one so that no car chimes will come through the radio. (disconnect data lines to radio)
I know I will lose turn signal sounds.

Any simpler way to do this?

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering to pull the radio fuse.. but kind of like having a radio..
No left speaker might not be so bad..

---

New plan is to wire radio rear line outputs to both rear and front inputs on factory bose amp (UQA)
Should still have balance, but no fade adjustment.

Will update with results after I get some harness plugs to make an adapter..

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BIG FAIL! The rear outputs are for the *seperate* rear seat audio, I guess the rear speakers still use the front for inputs..

Here is a wiring diagram for a UQA with Y91, I don't have Y91 but that looks to be DVD entertainment parts..

probably be easier to run wires from the right front speaker output to the left front, you would loose the front balance function but you would have a working speaker.
you will loose the idiot tones as well as all other tones and blinker sound so your only warnings will be whatever shows up in the dic

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it more I finally realized the amplifier must be generating the tone. (Or else the chime would come out the rear left speaker as well.)
Then I found an aftermarket radio interface manual that states the chimes come from the amp.. and I already ordered a pac lan29on device.. DOH!

I can hope it will power the amp up as well if I can disconnect gmlan from amp, we should be good.. tho I kinda doubt it..

Thinking about your solution, will it sound funny or burn up the amp running two speakers on one output? If I did that I would probably run the rears off right channel only and enjoy my mono radio! (less headaches I feel in mono)

Maybe I'll wire up two bose amps and use the right side outputs only.. while flipping the input on one..

Kidding! I hope...

Thank you GM!

me88

Reaction score
If it has the BOSE System it could have one of three amplifiers depending on the options. Some generate the chimes by itself without having a radio plugged in, the UQA amp for example does that. The aftermarket interfaces contain a speaker just in case your car has the "dumb" amplifier which does not generate the chimes by itself.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Me88. When my radio is unplugged, amp won't output chimes (though I know it generates them) and I get a park assist disabled message.(UQA)
I'm guessing amp won't turn on without radio..

Now if the amp looks only for a signal, direct from the radio to turn on, and I can turn the radio on with the lan29on device....disconnect both from GMLAN and have them on their own network..
I won't get my hopes up..

Nearly ready to disconnect LF speaker as Doubelieve suggested..
leaving my radio out for now and enjoying the peace and quiet!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tones and blinker sound are generated by the bcm, how that signal gets deciphered to the amp I do not know, it just comes out the left front speaker ONLY.
yes connecting the left speaker to the right will increase the ohm's and make the radio have less power on that channel but it will be pretty negligible

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chimes come from radio! (UQA) Left front -AND- Left rear emit turn signal click. (faint in the rear, maybe frequency cutoff?) maybe rear outputs..
When left radio output is disconnected, no signals (assuming chime as well)! Guess I got the 'dumb' amp, yay!

Factory diagram says X2 pin 8 (orange wire) is amplifier control (UQA except Y91) It is not necessary (not fader/balance/vol control..)
Factory diagram says X1 pin 6 (white wire) is entertainment remote enable (U42) It *IS* needed for UQA

Now when I splice right output to both L+R inputs on amp, it does some strange things when adjusting fade/balance.
balance seems to fade, fade affects balance. When one is adjusted all the way, only hear tweeters in front.. WEIRD
perhaps the rear speaker outputs aren't just the rear seat audio (when originally tested, I did not have X1pin6 connected and had no audio whatsoever)

However when everything is centered (fade/balance), the audio sounds normal. (maybe not perfect, hard to tell)
Will do more testing with the rear outputs..

Thanks for the help Doubelieve and me88!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24