Dirty water stuck behind Bowtie on grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may not be a big deal to some but I just noticed on the bowtie there is a lot of dirty water stuck between the gold and the clear. Has anyone ever tried to pop these out with success? I don't want to break it or **** it up in the process.

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I took bowtie off then seperated the clear part from the gray backing. There is glue holding them together that pulled some of the gold off, but I was planning on painting the back of the clear black anyway.

Maybe take the whole piece off and let it dry out a bit. Rice does wonders for drying out things.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you use to pry it out?, just a screw driver or a knife? Painting it sounds like a pretty cool idea.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no way to pop it off without breaking the clips and needing to buy a new one. if you want to take it off, you've got to take the entire grille off. or, just paint it.

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, there is. Taking the grill off is easy once you know where all the clips are, just be careful, the clips are as old as your truck. Then, the bowtie is held on by 2 of those speed nuts. Getting the two pieces seperated is kind of tricky, I got it done by prying on it SLOWLY with a knife. Just take your time. I think there is a way to bake the piece for a few minutes to soften it up, but I can't remember the specifics. Sand the backside of the clear piece all off (ANYTHING that you leave will be seen from the front side) then paint the back side. Let the paint cure then epoxy it back to the gray piece. this way, you don't have to worry about the paint chiping from rocks hitting the outside or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper