Difinitive exhaust choice for the 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBuckeye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

New owner of a 16 Z71 and I am looking for some feedback on exhaust choices. I have been searching both here and youtube but am not seeing the "must have" exhaust choice for the 5.3.

I have some experience with variable cylinder cars having owned a G8GT and when it switched to a V4 it sounded terrible.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read quite a bit in online Forums relative to this "It sounds terrible in AFM/V4 mode". I am considering changing the exhaust on my 2016 Yukon 5.3 and have read all of these post with interest.

For me, the solution seems simple: disable the AFM with an aftermarket tuner or with a device such as a "Range" plug in electronic modification. Once you do this, the AFM/V4 mode becomes a mute point. Read some of the comments on this Forum and others relative to the sound quality of different systems and how they sound inside and outside the truck. The sound of an exhaust system is a subjective issue and only you can make the final choice based on what you like. Some of these systems sound great outside but have an annoying drone in the interior at certain speeds.

GM evaluated all of these issues and chose the Borla System as an add on option that meets their criteria as the best combination of sound and performance. I plan to listen to that system installed and use it as the basis of comparison.

In the past, some of the best systems I have heard were CAT back systems that were Custom Systems built by a local exhaust shop using a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler with Custom pipes and tips.

Good luck with this.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a very subjective thing, as some want an extra mild bit of rumble whereas others want a loud & roaring setup that can be heard from 5 blocks away.

In terms of what's often praised around here, I recommend that you look carefully at a Magnaflow muffler or a Black Widow 250 muffler while keeping the rest of your exhaust system unchanged. Magnaflow is smooth, fairly deep and rumbly; Black Widow is similar but a little closer to the 'hollow' Flowmaster sound but without any drone.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my Corsa exhaust but as others have said it's all subjective. I've used it both with AFM enabled and disabled and love the sound it produces either way.

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corsa all the way. I have three Denalis and two of them have Magnaflow mufflers. I am way happier with the Corsa. Its sounds sharp. I went to the exhaust and intake when I couldn't take the afm sounds with the stock exhaust. I couldn't be happier with the Corsa on my XL

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corsa all the way. I have three Denalis and two of them have Magnaflow mufflers. I am way happier with the Corsa. Its sounds sharp. I went to the exhaust and intake when I couldn't take the afm sounds with the stock exhaust. I couldn't be happier with the Corsa on my XL
Does Corsa make a cat back for the 6.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of people really dig Corsa, no doubt.
For those who dig that sound but don't dig the price, look at the Black Widow muffler with a resonator delete. Not 100% the same, but probably 85% of the sound quality for a small fraction of the price.

I am not a Black Widow exhaust dealer, nor do I benefit in any way from sales of their product.

LOL

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do make an exhaust for the 6.2 but I believe it is only 3" pipe.

The only reason I didn't put one on my Denali Callaway is because I didn't want to drop the tube size from 3.5 down to 3"

I am actually considering playing with a pair of Borla XR1 mufflers on my Callaway if I wind up doing headers.

I am running 4 Borla XR1s in my 390 ci 500hp 1968 AMX. Sounds amazing!!!!

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the Corsa exhaust on my stock Denali XL + the black K&N intake. Love it love it love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts