Differential drop mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
section-image-60092a5f4eda47.08331091-1x.png
The differential bolts solidly to the mounts part 1 in that picture and that mount bolts to frame through rubber bushings. Most diff drops use either a spacer above or below that mount. But does anyone know of any that replace that mount? Did any lift kits come like that all I have seen so far go above or below. Probably wouldn't be hard to have one of the local welding shops make one out of tubing if I can't find anything. I know I will have to modify my crossmember and lower control arm mount to make room for the differential to drop down more than a inch it's touching the lower control arm bracket right now with the 1 inch spacer above the mount and fins cut. I plan to weld the drivers side half of the original crossmember I notched to the bottom of the parts burbs crossmember passenger side half so it will basically step down on driver side and use some 3/16 plate to extend to the lower control arm bracket down to the modified crossmember and cut off part that hits the differential. Fabricating the mount though is more than I think I can do accurately and am looking for ideas

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How much drop are you looking for?

The 5” ones from most big lifts are nothing fancy, sort of a C channel. The only complication is -at least on mine- it’s not a straight down drop. It’s something like 5” at the front of the brackets and 4.5” at the rear. So the pinion is elevated some. Presumably to get better universal joint alignment.

I don’t know if a solid mount without the bushings is a good idea (if that’s what you’re considering) Probably some increase in NVH and maybe higher shock loading on the diff without the bushings to absorb some transient torque peaks.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much drop are you looking for?

The 5” ones from most big lifts are nothing fancy, sort of a C channel. The only complication is -at least on mine- it’s not a straight down drop. It’s something like 5” at the front of the brackets and 4.5” at the rear. So the pinion is elevated some. Presumably to get better universal joint alignment.

I don’t know if a solid mount without the bushings is a good idea (if that’s what you’re considering) Probably some increase in NVH and maybe higher shock loading on the diff without the bushings to absorb some transient torque peaks.

I just want to bring diff down 2 or 3 inches. The 3.5 lift lifted my burb 5 inches. Wife likes using the auto 4wd in winter so angling diffs pinion up slightly might help but might not be needed also planning on double joint drive shaft. And not solid mount would still do a bushing but probably polyurethane. I could build a c channel drop spacer easily but was thinking a one piece mount would be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne