Diesel and city driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyorcaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

Considering either the Yukon or Escalade with the 3.0L Duramax (have deposits on both :) ) This would be my first diesel, and I’ve heard mixed opinions on owning a diesel with intermittent driving habits.

Essentially in our new Covid work from home life, 80% of the time we average only a few miles per week, say 50-100 max. The other 20% of the time we’re hauling our family of 5 (dog included) either 10 hours north or south to visit family.

I’ve read in some of the forums that some seem to be concerned with the diesel and the DEF/emissions systems when it’s not driven consistently. Anyone out there have details or know whether this could be an issue for us with our driving habits on the diesel powertrain?

Thanks!!

Wileybird03

Reaction score
Kinda short trips for a def system! Might run into some exhaust issues‍♂️ If not buy it n trade it if it doesn’t work! Diesels are in demand.

OP
OP
C

chevyorcaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kinda short trips for a def system! Might run into some exhaust issues‍♂️ If not buy it n trade it if it doesn’t work! Diesels are in demand.
That’s my fear… the short trips become a nightmare for the DEF and regen process. Sucks because that instant torq is great around town, MPG is just an added benefit. Plus it’s cool and different as I don’t see many more full size diesel SUVs coming to market in the near future

Wileybird03

Reaction score
I have had a duramax Yukon on order since august n still GM hasn’t accepted my order so I just bought a half ton Chevy duramax pickup to drive till Yukon is made n love it! Baby maxs are hard to come by

OP
OP
C

chevyorcaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had a duramax Yukon on order since august n still GM hasn’t accepted my order so I just bought a half ton Chevy duramax pickup to drive till Yukon is made n love it! Baby maxs are hard to come by
Yeah, both of my builds have been in since early Sept and neither allocated yet. The caddy has a longer waitlist at the dealer so still a month or so out from even being considered for an allocation.

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
IMO. The 3.0 isn’t engineered quite the same as a 6.6 size diesel. The soot produced isn’t so much. I think if you are concerned about regen then every 3 weeks let it warm up in the driveway and pick a spot for dinner 25 minutes away and you’ll be good.

OP
OP
C

chevyorcaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO. The 3.0 isn’t engineered quite the same as a 6.6 size diesel. The soot produced isn’t so much. I think if you are concerned about regen then every 3 weeks let it warm up in the driveway and pick a spot for dinner 25 minutes away and you’ll be good.

Thanks for the feedback! I honestly don’t know if I’m concerned about the regen or not, ha. I just happened to see quite a few posts from folks in various forums saying they’d be concerned for the baby Duramax if you’re not regularly driving it for meaningful distances. Seemed like they were mostly alluding to the DEF system and regen but the general vibe was if you don’t drive it don’t buy it so wanted to ask folks here

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use mine about the way you say you will. No problems yet and I'm not worried about it. Seems like every week or so there is a longer drive required for one thing or the other. The 3.0 is very different from the 6.6 in my pickup and I'm not at all convinced advice relevant to the Silverado pertains to the Yukon.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Considering either the Yukon or Escalade with the 3.0L Duramax (have deposits on both :) ) This would be my first diesel, and I’ve heard mixed opinions on owning a diesel with intermittent driving habits.

Essentially in our new Covid work from home life, 80% of the time we average only a few miles per week, say 50-100 max. The other 20% of the time we’re hauling our family of 5 (dog included) either 10 hours north or south to visit family.

I’ve read in some of the forums that some seem to be concerned with the diesel and the DEF/emissions systems when it’s not driven consistently. Anyone out there have details or know whether this could be an issue for us with our driving habits on the diesel powertrain?

Thanks!!
It's not good for any car or V8 to make short trips like that all the time. Condensation also builds up in the crankcase and doesn't get a chance to burn off. The battery never gets fully charged either. Last two years has been the same for us, one tank of fuel per month until fall and winter. But each time I'm in it, it's for at least an hour, city driving and idling while waiting for my wife to run into a store for just one thing or heading down south an hour to see my folks. I have a battery tender now for when she sits a week or more at a time.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have 115 hours driving 2050 miles in my 2021 3.0L Duramax. 75% of my engine hours are on a two mile trip to drop my kids off at school in the morning, a 15-20 min drive going in, a little faster coming back. And picking them up in the evening on the same route takes 35-40. I changed the oil at the dealer's yesterday at 2025 miles. Service manager said engine designed with this heavy traffic in mind and that I would be fine but right to want to change my oil every 2,500 miles (and I do gas cars every 3,000 miles anyway). The regen is no biggie, hardly notice it, a little booming noise and some melted crayon smell when cooling in the garage. Go with the diesel. It's just right for this car. You won't look back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu