Diablo i3 Platinum - AFM disable - really working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott-D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, just purchased a Diablo i3 Platinum mainly for turning off AFM but maybe a good tune as well.
Anyway, pushed the 87 Octane tune to my 2017 Tahoe, and also disabled AFM. After taking it for a ride, the Tahoe is still showing it switched from 8 to 4 cylinders. Talked with the tech who told me that sometimes it can still show it switching between 8 and 4 cylinders even though it's supposedly shut off?

Anyway, these things are not cheap and if it's still showing it's switching to me, then it's not really doing it's job in my opinion. Or how do I really know that it's not still switching over to 4 cylinders? Would just like to have the dash reading confirm that it's still in 8 cylinder mode all the time!

Anyone else see this when they did the same or can confirm?

Thanks a ton!
-Scott D

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell the difference on the highway with my exhaust. The tone is different when it switches. I don't know if you'll be able to tell if you're stock.

BTW I don't have a Diablo

OP
OP
S

Scott-D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry I meant if you disable it, according to the tuner, but you still see it switching on the dash display, I wonder how I would actually know that it's not switching back over to the 4-cylinder mode. I can never hear or feel any discernable differences when I'm driving. So if it was still actually switching, I would never know.

Reaction score
I have the same tuner on my 2012 and my info center always shows V8 mode.

Have you tried re-installing the tune? Also, I know usually after you select or install the tune you have to modify parameters and select DOD/AFM disable and whatever other parameters you want disabled, like speed limiter, then install the changes.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe and disabled the AFM it does not go from 8-4 at all now,raised the idle to 100 rpm more when in neutral and 50 more in gear ,firmed up the shifting to stop the mushy slipping (makes heat and wear),and increased the throttle response.It makes the response so much better.Disabled the speed limiter but left the RPM alone.There is a previous thread on some specs earlier. I am pleased with the results while driving

OP
OP
S

Scott-D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I restored it twice to factory and then re-pushed the 87 Octane version with modifying the parameters only of the AFM/DOD to turn it off. Tech says that he's seen some models that still showing it switching even though, according to them, that it's not really switching. I would much rather have the actual visual of seeing it stay in V8 mode to assure me that it's not switching. Guess I'm going to try a different route with one of the Range AFM Disablers and see if I can disable it that way.

I just don't want to have to potentially deal with the dreaded lifter failure issue one day and that's the main reason I'm trying to disable the AFM. I know that isn't 100% but I would think it would help me have a better chance of not having my heads fail? My brother has a 2018 Silverado and he had to just have his heads totally redone after lifter failure. $4000!! Trying to avoid that!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I restored it twice to factory and then re-pushed the 87 Octane version with modifying the parameters only of the AFM/DOD to turn it off. Tech says that he's seen some models that still showing it switching even though, according to them, that it's not really switching. I would much rather have the actual visual of seeing it stay in V8 mode to assure me that it's not switching. Guess I'm going to try a different route with one of the Range AFM Disablers and see if I can disable it that way.

I just don't want to have to potentially deal with the dreaded lifter failure issue one day and that's the main reason I'm trying to disable the AFM. I know that isn't 100% but I would think it would help me have a better chance of not having my heads fail? My brother has a 2018 Silverado and he had to just have his heads totally redone after lifter failure. $4000!! Trying to avoid that!

Weeeeelllll... The point of AFM is to increase fuel economy.

So, set your DIC to show the instant MPG and find a flat, straight stretch of road that you can set the cruise to 45 MPH. When it switches to V4 Mode on the screen, see if the instant MPG jumps. If it stays the same, then the DIC is misinforming. Weird problem.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is odd. I’m not so sure the Diablo device is actually disabling your AFM.

Different device but my ‘15 Denali XL never shows 4 cylinder mode with the Range AFM disabled installed.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i too have the Range installed. It never goes into V4 mode and I'm still averaging 22 on the hwy.

I am as well! Just did a 750 mile round trip averaging 82 mph and was getting 22.8 mpg. No AFM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157