dexos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK new Tahoe owner here. The dealer was trying to explain that the new GM cars required "Dextrose" oil. Obviously a bit confusing, never heard of an SAE spec with sugar in it.

At any rate I have read up a bit on the GM spec and have found that my local Walmart and Pep Boys do carry. The question I have is that the dexose spec seem to apply to both blends and fully syn oils. The rule of thumb I have always gone by is that once you put full syn in you don't go back to dino.

So if I use a full syn dexose oil and next oil change use a blend dexose, is that still oik? I believe the AC Delco brand is a blend. Would like to use the blend as it seems to be about $2-3 per quart less.

Also read on the Valvoline site that GM can not invalidate the warranty for not using dexose, but not seeing a reference on the GM site saying the same thing. Just wondering.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost every major oil you find at Wally World, Pep Boys, etc. has the proper GM certifications. Just look on the back of the bottle.

You can head over to www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com if you want to spend a few hours reading up about motor oil.

99_Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also read on the Valvoline site that GM can not invalidate the warranty for not using dexose, but not seeing a reference on the GM site saying the same thing. Just wondering.

What you read probably is about the requirement to use dexos "licensed" oils. Valvoline and other manufacturers have dexos"equivalent" oils that will meet the warranty specification. So yes, you cannot have your warranty voided not not using the real dexos licensed oil, but you need to use some kind of dexos approved equivalent.
And you can go back and forth between oils with no harm done to your engine. Synthetic blend and full synthetic oils can be switched to and back without any problems.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had gone to "bob is the oil guy" great site, have used it for the last few years. However could not find the answers I needed on dexos yet. Probably still too new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada