Derale 13960

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
Hey! I have a Derale Hyper-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers with Fan Kits 13960 installed on my 2009 Yukon Xl, 5.3.

I have a question about the trans temperature. When should the fan kick on? I’ve seen 191 on my dash but haven’t seen the fan kick on.

I asked my mechanic to install the trans cooler plumbed in series after the fluid-to-fluid cooler in the radiator and wired into the fuse block using an add-a-fuse adapter.

I asked for it to be wired into the under-hood fuse block, fuse #34 (S/Roof - Roof Beacon Relay (TRW), Sun-roof Module (CF5)) which is an 'always on' circuit typically used by police vehicles for the light bar. Using the fuse-tap to add an additional fuse for the fan.

Any ideas for what I can do to discover why I haven’t seen the fan kick on?

Thanks for your help, so many of you are more knowledgeable than me!

Attachments

• IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 2

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the trans temperature. When should the fan kick on? I’ve seen 191 on my dash but haven’t seen the fan kick on.
ecm programming. 1 fan should come on at around 200 deg, second fan at 231deg. Need to have it tuned, or wire it up to an old school temp switch if you want it changed.

Were you checking engine or trans temp? FWIW, when my dash guage shows 210deg, the scanner actually shows ~195 deg..

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ecm programming. 1 fan should come on at around 200 deg, second fan at 231deg. Need to have it tuned, or wire it up to an old school temp switch if you want it changed.

Were you checking engine or trans temp? FWIW, when my dash guage shows 210deg, the scanner actually shows ~195 deg..
He’s talking about the fan on the Derale cooler itself.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! I have a Derale Hyper-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers with Fan Kits 13960 installed on my 2009 Yukon Xl, 5.3.

I asked my mechanic to install the trans cooler plumbed in series after the fluid-to-fluid cooler in the radiator and wired into the fuse block using an add-a-fuse adapter.

I asked for it to be wired into the under-hood fuse block, fuse #34 (S/Roof - Roof Beacon Relay (TRW), Sun-roof Module (CF5)) which is an 'always on' circuit typically used by police vehicles for the light bar. Using the fuse-tap to add an additional fuse for the fan.

Any ideas for what I can do to discover why I haven’t seen the fan kick on?

Thanks for your help, so many of you are more knowledgeable than me!
The fluid temperature on the dash is the temperature in the pan, not the fluid entering the cooler.

Have you tried connecting the fan’s leads directly to a 12v power source without the thermostatic control in the loop?

I have the Derale 13960 as well and find mine kicks on when the fluid in the pan is right around 190°F.

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
Were you checking engine or trans temp?
Hey Mike, I was simply looking at the trans temp as listed on my electronic display on the dash board. The Derale has an electric fan that’s activated via an in-line thermostat.

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
The fluid temperature on the dash is the temperature in the pan, not the fluid entering the cooler.

Have you tried connecting the fan’s leads directly to a 12v power source without the thermostatic control in the loop?

I have the Derale 13960 as well and find mine kicks on when the fluid in the pan is right around 190°F.
That’s really helpful to know, Dave. Thanks.

I suspect that when I’m seeing 191 on my dash, that’s probably a tad hotter fluid than what’s entering the cooler…so maybe I haven’t gotten it hot enough to kick-on the electric fan?

Summer is coming and I live in California’s central valley…so I’m sure I’ll test those hotter temperatures soon!

That’s a good idea about connecting the fan’s leads directly to a power source to check to see if everything is good - I’ll try that.

….also, it was your posts about the Derale 13960 that really helped me make a decision about installing it. Thank you!

Joe

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s talking about the fan on the Derale cooler itself.
Whoops, missed that!

I think Jhwhite is right in that the cooler has not warmed up that much yet. Tthought I read factory trans thermostat was around 190deg? That's one of the things I want to upgrade to the updated 160deg thermo.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s really helpful to know, Dave. Thanks.

I suspect that when I’m seeing 191 on my dash, that’s probably a tad hotter fluid than what’s entering the cooler…so maybe I haven’t gotten it hot enough to kick-on the electric fan?

Summer is coming and I live in California’s central valley…so I’m sure I’ll test those hotter temperatures soon!

That’s a good idea about connecting the fan’s leads directly to a power source to check to see if everything is good - I’ll try that.

….also, it was your posts about the Derale 13960 that really helped me make a decision about installing it. Thank you!

Joe
Happy to help. Let us know how it goes.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the GMT900 doesn’t have a factory thermostat on the 6L80.
That's why I can't find it in parts listings.! 1 less thing to 'worry' about, thanks for that.. I'll shut up now.