Denali front shaft temp removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. Going to tune the Denali this week (or next). Can I remove front drive shaft to dyno or no? My assumption is since it’s awd xfer not 4wd I can not.... anyone?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. Going to tune the Denali this week (or next). Can I remove front drive shaft to dyno or no? My assumption is since it’s awd xfer not 4wd I can not.... anyone?
I would say get it done on a machine that supports awd, I suppose you could take the front driveshaft off but I wouldn't recommend it and your dyno isn't going to be right.

OP
OP
Moose912

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say get it done on a machine that supports awd, I suppose you could take the front driveshaft off but I wouldn't recommend it and your dyno isn't going to be right.
It’s a 2wd dyno only unfortunately. He’s the best LS tuner or any tuner around. Worked for Hennessy. Now works for bully dog. Anyways, he can use a wideband. Which likely is the route we’ll have to take.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
If you take off the shaft you are going to burn the clutches on the transfer case. Don't do it

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I dont think it would hurt it at all, Im only guessing and a driveline shop shouldknow the answer. I dont think there are any clutches in a transfer case? just a carrier and chain?

Awd trasfer cases are different than the 4wd. I read about it on the silverado ss forum. I'm assuming those guys now their stuff, they mofify those trucks all they time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the short answer is to get it done right on a AWD dyno that is linked

Two or Four, Linked or Not?

One obvious way to narrow down the field of dyno choices is to simply determine if an all-wheel-drive or two-wheel drive dyno will get the job done. While some AWD vehicles can be put into 2WD modes, it’s always best to simply use an AWD dyno for an AWD vehicle. AWD dynos can always accommodate 2WD vehicles too. However, the cost for AWD dynos is generally twice the cost of a 2WD unit. In selecting an AWD dyno, it’s important to note if the rollers or hubs are linked to ensure that the front and rear wheels spin at the same speed. Linked dynos avoid issues that will arise on certain models of vehicles that will burn up center differentials on unlinked rollers.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know on the NBS if you pull a driveshaft you’ll destroy the viscous coupling in the transfer case in a matter of minutes. Same if you run one smaller diameter tire as in a spare that’s the wrong size. And also don’t run one on a lift in gear or the same thing happens. Not sure on the NNBS but I would make 100% sure. And I know of no AWD that can be put in 2WD mode. I was going to dyno The Beast but the only AWD ones around here are booked for months it seems.

OP
OP
Moose912

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this blows lol. Guess wideband tune is all she gets.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a dyno jet 2 wheel drive dyno and need to street tune awd trucks. You can't pull the front shaft, it's a fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401