Delayed shifting after throttle body cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TruckME

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The reason I asked about whether you took the throttle body off, you did not answer that, is that if you have a drive by wire set up, take off the throttle body to allow for cleaning on the backside of the throttle plate without opening that plate. You would replace the throttle body seal at same time. Then the likelihood of the problems you are having now are close to nil. I hope this problem works out. Sorry if I sound snippy but I hate when a problem is asked about and all that happened before the problem is not shared.
Sorry missed that. No I didn't remove the TB. I know it is better but I understood it is not a must. Hope I didn't break it.... Although it is working. It is just the delay in shifting.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cleaned numerous DBW throttle bodies. You DON'T have to remove it. Just use your 2 hands. 1 to hold it WOT after you sprayed it down, and the 2nd to run the toothbrush. Rinse lightly, and wipe off with a clean rag. Pretty simple.

I've never done an official relearn - usually extended idle time with and without A/C, then normal driving. These motors are always LEARNING your driving habits, so just drive it like you normally do and it will adjust with a few drive cycles. The trans shifting is due to a slight change in input due to better airflow and readings.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have cleaned numerous DBW throttle bodies. You DON'T have to remove it. Just use your 2 hands. 1 to hold it WOT after you sprayed it down, and the 2nd to run the toothbrush. Rinse lightly, and wipe off with a clean rag. Pretty simple.

I've never done an official relearn - usually extended idle time with and without A/C, then normal driving. These motors are always LEARNING your driving habits, so just drive it like you normally do and it will adjust with a few drive cycles. The trans shifting is due to a slight change in input due to better airflow and readings.
Whatever works for you, I am all for it.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the latest comments, I would remove the TB and clean both sides
of it. Reinstall it with a NEW gasket/seal...
Then do your idle relearn procedure yourself.
You 'may' want to recheck or reclean your MAF sensor too.. Just to make sure.
That can cause funky behavior too

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading the latest comments, I would remove the TB and clean both sides
of it. Reinstall it with a NEW gasket/seal...
Then do your idle relearn procedure yourself.
You 'may' want to recheck or reclean your MAF sensor too.. Just to make sure.
That can cause funky behavior too
as Foggy said, but I really wouldn't worry about taking the TB off, you can and if you do try to wipe up in the intake body as well while you are there, the existing gasket should be fine, I would clean the TB AND maf again and then re-assemble everything and make extra sure everything is on properly tight and snug (harness, hoses, etc.. get a new air filter if not done already. Then maybe even go so far as to disconnect the battery ground for a minute and re attach.
when you start it up after that just let it sit and idle for a bit, don't rev it up or anything just let it run and then shut it off and start it up again and then take it around the block or whatever
if it doesn't start shifting right after that then my personal opinion is get some live data off the maf or maybe even consider replacing it as that is usually the culprit behind funky shifting. again just my opinion
I would also throw some injector cleaner in the gas tank for a couple or even 3-4 tank fulls if you don't already do that as a regular maintenance schedule, that will help smooth out the idle

OP
OP
T

TruckME

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks very helpful

OP
OP
T

TruckME

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as Foggy said, but I really wouldn't worry about taking the TB off, you can and if you do try to wipe up in the intake body as well while you are there, the existing gasket should be fine, I would clean the TB AND maf again and then re-assemble everything and make extra sure everything is on properly tight and snug (harness, hoses, etc.. get a new air filter if not done already. Then maybe even go so far as to disconnect the battery ground for a minute and re attach.
when you start it up after that just let it sit and idle for a bit, don't rev it up or anything just let it run and then shut it off and start it up again and then take it around the block or whatever
if it doesn't start shifting right after that then my personal opinion is get some live data off the maf or maybe even consider replacing it as that is usually the culprit behind funky shifting. again just my opinion
I would also throw some injector cleaner in the gas tank for a couple or even 3-4 tank fulls if you don't already do that as a regular maintenance schedule, that will help smooth out the idle
Thanks as always for your comments. I think I will try the trick with the battery. Hopefully it works and if not I will replace the MAF sensor. And yes I do use injecotor cleaner on regular basis. So I should be fine on that side

OP
OP
T

TruckME

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery and doing the TB relearn procedure did the trick!! The shifting is as smooth as it gets now.
Thanks again!

Vint91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck did the same thing after cleaning the MAF, it hesitated badly. I continue to unhook the battery and hooking it back up, waiting for it to relearn in the end after driving it for a few hundred miles. It finally read learnt the new system on its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic