Defroster issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a place to start troubleshooting my Escalade. It's a 2000 model but is more akin to a '99. Basically, a Tahoe with Cadillac badges. Since I've had it, I've fixed many problems a well meaning but inexperienced previous owner caused. I've found that parts for a '99 fit just fine. For a 2000, may or may not. Evidently there was a change in mid year and I have an early one.

Well, to the point. I have heavy air flow out the defroster vents. I have a weak flow from the dash and floor vents, depending on how I set the deflector position switch. The servo to change modes under the steering wheel is operating properly.

I suspect a rod or actuator may be unhooked or I have a vacuum leak. The flow out the lower vents changes with settings but the defrost flow doesn't. I don't want to take it out of service for an extended period if I can help it as it's been invaluable in the recent nasty weather.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s not a lot that you can access, but if the actuator is turning correctly (and the spring linkages are intact), you can pull the lower cover from the box at the center floor...

436825d0b704e7c3eba96b3d9ca74258.jpg

...and see if you see anything obviously wrong with the damper.

0d2856d092be78382bb4ba77b6fe23c7.jpg

Access to the top of the box, or replacement of the damper, would likely require rotating the dash down for access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s not a lot that you can access, but if the actuator is turning correctly (and the spring linkages are intact), you can pull the lower cover from the box at the center floor...

436825d0b704e7c3eba96b3d9ca74258.jpg

...and see if you see anything obviously wrong with the damper.

0d2856d092be78382bb4ba77b6fe23c7.jpg

Access to the top of the box, or replacement of the damper, would likely require rotating the dash down for access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, that looks easier than I thought it would be. I may be able to juice something up to change the air flow without removing it. "Clementine" is not and never will be a show truck. It's a winter drive so I can get to work in really bad weather. I have to open so everybody else can work. The old gal sits on some really nasty Firestone Discoverer MT2 tires and a 2 inch life. Probably the meanest, yet refined, Cadillac you'll see on the road. Unfortunately, unlike Tahoes, Escalades have a full console that may have to come out.