Dechroming with bedliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to give the old Tahoe an updated look by getting rid of the chrome grill and bumpers.
I like the tough look of the bedliner material but I didn't know which to use.

Since I bought a new grill and front bumper (because it was dinged up) I decided to test a few of the materials. I used Rustoleum spray on the grill, Herculiner roll on on the front bumper and lower valance, and Raptor liner on the rear bumper.

Although I like the look of the Rustoleum (small particles but even application) only one of 3 cans actually worked and it didn't hold up to rock chips on a 200 mile drive through the AZ desert.

I liked the roll on application of the Herculiner but the particle distribution was very uneven....maybe a painter experience issue. But that stuff drys hard as granite and hasn't chipped at all yet.

I love the Raptor liner stuff (of course the most expensive at $30 a spray can. It sprayed on even, the entire can worked until it was dry, it looks really good and hasn't chipped or cracked and didn't run even though I'm a terrible spray painter.

Here are some before and after PICs
I left the upper part of the bumper white because once you put these materials it doesn't just sand off...
You have grind it off or start over with a new piece. Looking at it now I don't know if I'll go all black or leave that piece white for some contrast.

And I couldn't help painting the bowtie and hooks red.....LOL

Heres the before of the front

IMG_2928-Front-Before.JPG

Heres the after of the front
IMG_2978-Front-After.JPG

Heres the rear...I didnt do the plastic..just the Chrome
IMG_2953.JPG

Close up of the rear, so you can see the texture
IMG_2944.JPG

Then I thought I needed some more trim so I mocked up a red stripe
on the bottom of the front lower valance.....Walmart duck tape....LOL

IMG_2986.JPG