Decent cam for 96 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not looking to build a 500HP motor here, just get a little more pep out of my mostly stock motor. The motor is my stock 1996 L31, I'm porting and polishing my heads myself, retaining stock intake and throttle body for now (plan to switch to a larger throttle body in a few months, I want to stay with fuel injection), and upgrading the ignition system with upgrades to the stock components. Is there a camshaft that would work with this setup, and still be driveable without major tuning? As far as the tuning goes, does it have to be dyno-tuned, is dyno-tuning even possible on these motors, or do I have to send the computer off to have it reflashed? Please forgive all my questions, I am dumb to these motors, and still have a lot to learn yet. I would like to break 300HP with this motor, and perhaps more later on when money permits. Thanks in advance!

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a cam won't put you at 300rwhp sorry to say.

Plenty of options for cams, Ht383, zz4, and a couple other GM performance cams. or comp, lunati etc aftermarket. Your limited on lift though with stock heads to roughly .470" to .480". There are different routes to go to gain clearance.

Porting isn't necessary but bowl blend and polishing will help. Vortec heads flow plenty for stock. Could do bigger valves. Different rocker arms. Thinner gasket or deck the heads for increase compression (don't overdo this)

Most cam options for you would be well street mannered but would need tuning, either dyno tuning or options such as BlackBear Performance. Check em out. Everyone on here has good things to say about them.

Stock vortec ignition system will be fine unless you are 500+ hp. Make sure you have quality plugs and wires. No cheapos.

Just out of curiosity where is this larger throttle body you want to do??

Also put consideration in other parts, how many miles are on it. Would it hurt to rering it and do new bearings on bottom end. Or overhaul it with flat top pistons etc. Transmission shift kit with vette servo would be a good idea if you do build the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700