Debadged and now I have a problem along with an irritated wife

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just removed my side moldings on my Black Tahoe to replace them with escalades chrome ones today and I had the same issue. After GooGone, soap and water , GooGone again , glass cleaner ( invisible glass) , Rubbing compound , swirl remover , polish , glaze, and wax my doors were and are look like new ! Even better . It's removable just put some elbow grease into it :)

Thread jack! Have a pic of the Esky moldings on your truck? I've had a set sitting in my garage for a couple years now. Never got around to installing them, mainly because 1) I don't trust anyone to get them on straight, and 2) I was concerned that there'd be "ghost lines" created by the stock ones (my truck sits outside, and is black).

Did you, in fact, have ANY indications left behind on the paint that you had wider moldings on there? Does your truck sit outside? Thanks!

rosendo192000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread jack! Have a pic of the Esky moldings on your truck? I've had a set sitting in my garage for a couple years now. Never got around to installing them, mainly because 1) I don't trust anyone to get them on straight, and 2) I was concerned that there'd be "ghost lines" created by the stock ones (my truck sits outside, and is black).

Did you, in fact, have ANY indications left behind on the paint that you had wider moldings on there? Does your truck sit outside? Thanks!

#1 rule : Take your Time ! Don't rush into it .
The first thing I did , was blue tape the top of the mold and the end (drive door ) top and start ( back door) for the resin that escalade mold is slightly longer , with that in place you'll have a reference point on where to stick you new chrome . Yes I did have ghost lines , seemed kinda of rough too but remember it's cause it never seen wax and polish in 5 years . Anyhow , I removed all the adhesive with just gooGone , water soap, and window cleaner leaving ghost lines behind . I followed it up with scratch and swirl remover , 2-3 times over and over , then polished and waxed to restore my gloss ( all by hand) . Each mold took me 30ish minutes from start to finish . My truck is black and also sits outside since day one .

I don't have my truck here to take pictures , I'm getting my door handles replaces ( texture to paint ) I'll take some up close with my camera later , for meanwhile here's the only one I have ( camera phone)
62f8853b-be1f-d2f5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath

Latest posts