Dealer rip off or legitimate cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagherra

Reaction score
Was that an OEM sensor that you found for $25??
GM seems to be awfully proud of these newer seat sensors, bumper sensors, and airbag sensors. $500-$800 for a sensor is not unheard of.
I know OEM is always preferable, but with a price difference like THAT, I will gladly try using an aftermarket sensor.
I dont think it was OEM...i believe it was Dorman...and i can tell the difference with it. Vibration not as strong as OEM but i can still feel it. Took me about 10 min to install.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think it was OEM...i believe it was Dorman...and i can tell the difference with it. Vibration not as strong as OEM but i can still feel it. Took me about 10 min to install.
I always like OEM became you could order and play close to buying aftermarket in the store. Dorman & Duralast is my second choice.

Pops946

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
$503 for seat sensor?!?!?! Bought mine off Amazon for $25 and replaced it myself.
As for the sensor, not sure if it can replaced with bumper in place or not...

Find a another dealer...
Don't have this fancy stuff on my 02 LT, but yeah, I'd guess the seat sensor would be relatively inexpensive, but he said it was the haptic motor, which is the motor that causes the seat to vibrate to alert the driver. $500 may be high, but this thing is for sure gonna be more than $25.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali with 62,000 mostly highway miles. Message came on recently stating "service driver assist". Dealer charged me $210 to determine cause and told me it was 2 things causing this. One was a front bumper sensor ($866.19 to replace because bumper needs to be removed), and the other was the Haptic seat motor ($503.25 to replace). Oh, and $90 to paint the new sensor.

Does anyone have any experience with this. Everything works fine, it's just that the message has to be turned off every time I start the truck. Not a big deal but when I trade or sell someone will want to know what is causing this.

Thanks much.
Seems legitimate to me. Remember, all of this technology in modern cars will result in MUCH higher maintenance costs.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Seems legitimate to me. Remember, all of this technology in modern cars will result in MUCH higher maintenance costs.
To be sure, these are not maintenance costs, these are repair costs. Maintenance costs are things like oil changes and other fluid changes and plugs and wires and filters....etc.

Bagherra

Reaction score

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali with 62,000 mostly highway miles. Message came on recently stating "service driver assist". Dealer charged me $210 to determine cause and told me it was 2 things causing this. One was a front bumper sensor ($866.19 to replace because bumper needs to be removed), and the other was the Haptic seat motor ($503.25 to replace). Oh, and $90 to paint the new sensor.

Does anyone have any experience with this. Everything works fine, it's just that the message has to be turned off every time I start the truck. Not a big deal but when I trade or sell someone will want to know what is causing this.

Thanks much.
it was 2 things causing this ---> This is rarely the case. What are the chances TWO related parts went out at the same time? This is clueless, lazy diagnosis.

"service driver assist". ---> This comes up for 100X different reasons. Without proper dianosis, you will be paying for a parts cannon.

You paid $210 for someone to guess at what is wrong. Find some younger, independent guy who knows electronic diagnosis. And then take those results back to the dealer and get your $210 back.

Without seeing the vehicle I am going to guess that the haptic motor will NOT engage if a sensor is out.

This is why I refuse to buy a new vehicle. Damn dealers.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
it was 2 things causing this ---> This is rarely the case. What are the chances TWO related parts went out at the same time? This is clueless, lazy diagnosis.

"service driver assist". ---> This comes up for 100X different reasons. Without proper dianosis, you will be paying for a parts cannon.

You paid $210 for someone to guess at what is wrong. Find some younger, independent guy who knows electronic diagnosis. And then take those results back to the dealer and get your $210 back.

Without seeing the vehicle I am going to guess that the haptic motor will NOT engage if a sensor is out.

This is why I refuse to buy a new vehicle. Damn dealers.
Since I ran shops in the area, I have several friends that are willing to help me out if needed. Plus, I too refuse new vehicles because of all the haywire gadgets and even the dealer techs are lost during diagnosis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17