Dealer removal of ordered/sold unit from their website?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by a dealer after calling about an “in transit” vehicle that GM showed on the corporate website for the dealer that GM requires them to keep it listed on the dealer website until the vehicle has been delivered and paperwork has been signed. When a dealer says it is “sold” already that just means someone has put down a deposit on it already. Even though it’s highly unlikely, there is a chance the deal doesn’t get done once the vehicle is delivered for a number of reasons (customer doesn’t come for pickup within a set timeframe, financing falls through, customer changes mind once they see in person etc.). Don’t bash me if this isn’t 100% true. It’s just what I heard and it seemed to make sense.

TL;DR
GM requires the vehicle to be listed on a dealers website until the vehicle has been delivered and a customer has taken possession of the vehicle.
Yes, this is also correct, many times they will take backup names on presold vehicles as original purchaser may have found something else, or not happy with unit as arrived. A fair share of the ones I talked to still wanted my information if something didn't work out with the buyer ... which happens more than you would think. Another reason to keep it listed but "not available"....

Hornman120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a Suburban High Country diesel in June of last year. It was converted to MY 2022. My dealer received an allocation in early November with a constraint on the Air Shocks, I accepted that and it was built in mid-January; When it went to Event Code 4000 (ready to ship) it actually showed up on the Chevrolet Inventory Web Site and also on my local dealer's inventory as "In Transit" with ETA of Feb 4. It arrived at the dealer late on Jan 31. On Feb 1 it showed on dealer's site as there (not "In Transit") and I took delivery that day. On Feb 2 it no longer showed up on the dealer's inventory.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicles are automatically posted to the dealer websites when they ship whether they are pre-sold or not. My dealer shows them as marked up by $5K if it is presold which usually deters any callers asking if they are available as most dealers in the area are selling at MSRP so no one is really going to call on a unit that is $5k over sticker. Once they arrive at the dealer and assuming it is pre-sold, the dealer can remove it from the website (mine was removed the day after it arrived and it was obvious I was coming to pick it up). At that point it is up to the dealer to decide whether to leave it up or take it down. But the in transit units typically stay on the dealer website whether they are pre-sold or not.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dealer said all of the units in-transit were orders that are already sold. They leave them up in case someone wants to be on the waiting list, but he said their list is 300+ and grows all the time.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure GM has control of build and inventory website we had truck built in December and dealer said it was on hold but on website stated it was in transit for 2 1/2 months and it was purchased end of February took 2 days to be removed after sale, always said it was in transit and dealer had it for sale.

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is actually controlled by GM directly with their D2C2 inventory integration. Once a vehicle ships, GM controls their Dealer Inspire site and inventory feed. There isn't a way for a dealer to remove it if they're on the DI platform when they removed the forced contract with CDK Global and their Cobalt powered websites.

Dustindu4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My custom order showed up on the GM website as in transit, so I'm confident that the GM site shows everything. Custom order or not

poblack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Tahoe I order showed up on the chevy website but it's not longer on there. It is in transit and should be at the dealer hopefully next week. I'm not sure why it's not showing on the website anymore

OP
OP
G

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started this topic and spoke to my dealer yesterday and they "in fact" can and do remove the vehicle from theirs and GM's website. Mine was removed because they know it is already sold and don't want salespeople to be bothered answering calls "is it still available?"

Kmgreen08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My order just popped up today on the dealer site, but I have no ETA. I was hoping this meant it was actually “in transit” but it sounds like that’s not the case based on other threads. I guess it could sit there awhile even though I’m 3 hours away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts