Dash lights too dim during daytime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coyotejunki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dash lights often stay dim during daylight, until the sun is directly on them then they brighten. It is very annoying is there a fix for this?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the stupid ambient light sensor on the dash. The wipers block direct sunlight usually unless you are driving in the "right " direction to get it out of the shadow. My 2008 does the same thing. My 2017 has wipers that sit lower and it isn't an issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dash lights often stay dim during daylight, until the sun is directly on them then they brighten. It is very annoying is there a fix for this?
check to see if the sunlight sensor has come loose and fallen down into the dash at all.
others reporting the same issue should check there sensors as well
if the sensor has fallen you have to pull the radio out to get your fingers in there and put it back in the correct position from underneath
it twist into a slot holder on the dash.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some parts of the year seem to cause mine to do that too. I pop that little knobs out and crank the brightness up for a while before turning it back down and pushing it back in. I've heard the sensor involved is on the rear view mirror. Dunno, just work around it and forget it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some parts of the year seem to cause mine to do that too. I pop that little knobs out and crank the brightness up for a while before turning it back down and pushing it back in. I've heard the sensor involved is on the rear view mirror. Dunno, just work around it and forget it.
the sensor on the mirror is for auto-dimming, auto dimming only operates for the drivers side rear view mirror and the center rear view mirror, the passenger mirror does not have auto-dimming. auto-dim does not affect the interior lighting.
for instance if you go outside right now in daylight and place your finger over the sensor on the mirror (forward facing side bottom left corner) and watch the mirror it will slowly dimm, when you release your finger off the sensor the dimming will go away, interior (dash/cluster) lighting remains unchanged.

OP
OP
Coyotejunki

Coyotejunki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's the stupid ambient light sensor on the dash. The wipers block direct sunlight usually unless you are driving in the "right " direction to get it out of the shadow. My 2008 does the same thing. My 2017 has wipers that sit lower and it isn't an issue.
Year I fiqured that was it, I was wondering if there was a way around it. Annoying as hell when it is daylight out and you can't read the dash.