Dash Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I finally got some time. Here goes...

In post #11 above, you already ordered the USB mini (or micro or whatever your camera needs) 5v module.
And, you have removed the overhead console. The Torx screws (at least on mine) were T10, not T15.
I tapped directly into the power for the Homelink system. It seems to have its own fuse (good) and is on all of the time (bad). There is a red/ylw wire and a blk wire that supplies power to the system. Those are the ones you want. I tapped into them at the big connector for the complete overhead console. There is only one red/ylw and one black wire at this plug, you cannot go wrong. In fact, I removed the console and did all of my work on the bench.

Close-up of the red/ylw wire-

IMG_1082.JPG

Since power is on all of the time to my new circuit, I added a switch-

IMG_1083.JPG

Now, some of the reviewers on Amazon had some bad luck with their little 5v module. So, I put some spades on my new circuit and on to the 5v module (of course observing proper polarity). Now, if it fails, I can pull the old one out, fish the new one in and go.

IMG_1084.JPG

I found it easier to remove the overhead console after first removing the little pop-out panel. But, getting those little wire connectors removed required a tiny straight blade screwdriver to depress the little keeper tab in. You don't have to do this, you can just remove the big main connector and call it good.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a BlackVue DR650s-2CH. It is really good at recording. They just released the DR750 which has an HD rear camera, but the DR650 is a bit cheaper and front camera is HD/1080. I ordered a 128GB high speed SD card on Amazon but bought the camera from Backboxmycar.com (not a plug - just telling you). They included the plastic panel thingy (technical term) to hide the wires. Rear camera is mounted on the interior plastic but I may mount it to the glass. It sticks just fine to the interior. I just have to figure out where to put the slack in the wire so the back window can open.

Front cam is mounted just to the right of the rear view mirror. Leave about 5 inches between the cam and the mirror or you will see the corner of the mirror mount - I had to move it after I tested it out. It is out of the way and pretty hidden even from the interior POV (pics included). They provide software for Windows/MAC and Android/iPhone for accessing the videos and settings. Otherwise just pop out the SD card and copy it to your desktop if there is a clip you want to save.

I also bought the parking mode feature which is why I am on the site at the moment looking at which fuse is best to tap for constant and keyed power. Parking mode feature allows you to stream the vids to phone or computer while truck is parked and can run for a while depending upon your settings but you also need to be near a live wifi hotspot (e.g. home, work). I don't think the GM hotspot will ork if the truck is off.

Camera plugs into the cig lighter and the parking mode unit can be hard wired in and lets you control the amount of voltage the camera can drain the battery until it shuts off. They also sell a battery unit for the parking mode module but I am upgrading to an Optima Yellow top battery so I felt the battery unit wasn't worth it.

I've only had it a couple weeks but I am very happy with it thus far. I'm about to upload my first retard driver clip to DDSTV2 on YouTube. ;)

IMG_20170919_1032052.jpg IMG_20170919_1031594.jpg IMG_20171006_1553113.jpg IMG_20171006_1553378.jpg IMG_20171006_1554003.jpg

Last edited:

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Camera plugs into the cig lighter and the parking mode unit can be hard wired

Nice , I also installed a cheap dash cam last week, takes good video, I would like to hardwire the entire unit, I hate the wire coming down to the 12 volt(cig Lighter) Plug but the plug has the transformer from 12v to 5.something so i'm going to do some research on it. I also need to get a bigger micro sd card. but WTF do you want for 38 bucks delivered to your home?

It would be nice if you could completely hard wire yours also.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice , I also installed a cheap dash cam last week, takes good video, I would like to hardwire the entire unit, I hate the wire coming down to the 12 volt(cig Lighter) Plug but the plug has the transformer from 12v to 5.something so i'm going to do some research on it. I also need to get a bigger micro sd card. but WTF do you want for 38 bucks delivered to your home?

It would be nice if you could completely hard wire yours also.

I am pretty sure the BlackVue unit will work for yours as well. Its just a repackaged Power Magic Pro so any device that uses the cig lighter plug will work. The cig plug just plugs into the parking mode unit female.

blackvue-powermagic-full-300x300.jpg

bluemanfb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have two BlackVue cameras that work independently of each other. I just connected them to the fuse boxes using the Blackvue hardwire kit.

With this setup, I have to drive the car every 18-24 hours or disconnect the dashcams if I don't want a dead battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21