Damn screw in tire - easy Tire Plug Fix How To Vid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every year or two we do our civic duty and pick up a nail or screw from the public roads.... Usually into one of my tires. Happened last week and put together this short vid to show how easy it is to plug. Not accepted by the pros as a permanent fix - but has worked very well for me over the years.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's alot easier if you roll the tire forwards or back and go in from the side and not the top.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had to be a good video, I saw blood. As the OP said, you can take the tire to a shop for repair and if you do, especially on a speed rated tire, use a plug patch and not just the patch. I have literally done hundreds of these plugs on tires and they are a great band aid but the plug patch is better and can still be done after the plug removal.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
done one of these, i tried to do it with air in the tires and opted to jack up, deflate the tire by removing the valve stem core.
Then I patched.
Much easier that way.

My little emergency kit now reflects that, has the kit that came with a core removal tool, spare cores, valve caps, new stems, etc.
And I included a little tire inflator pump to complete the kit.

With my trucks, i have been out in the middle of nowhere no cell service etc.
I had a tire go flat, and here i am now driving on my only spare. :eek:

I did the same thing with my vette.
I removed the original factory spare since it won't work with the wheels and brakes i have.
So the tire patch kit just incase I'm somewhere that i can't call a flat bed to come and get me.
since i usually play with that car up in the tight windy roads in the canyons around here (some come complete with banked turns!), it makes a ton of sense to have it.

And the roads around here are big reason for the build as it sits now.

If i could find a way to not patch the tire, i totally go that route.
I also hate patched tires in general, especially in that car.
I would ever do it on a public road, but i have had that car in excess of 140...
Loose a tire or something, and I'm toast.
fiberglass everywhere!

Imagine how itchy that would be if i survived. :hahano:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i generally fairly lazy and super unlucky so i get all the items that puncture tires. as much as i get stuff on my tires tire repairs are a regular for me. before i was married and it was me dealing with my own consequences it was whatever kept air in the tires at the time. can or tube of some kind of strong adhesive sprayed onto the nail of screw then just reinsert the nail or screw and air it back up. carry a patch kit and your laziness caught back up and you never bought replacement plugs. duct tape or electrical tape twisted in the same shape will also work.

OP
OP
Kenneth L Nielsen

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's alot easier if you roll the tire forwards or back and go in from the side and not the top.

1. I like your Avatar! 2. Before I started, I looked at what angle would work best for me in this situation and determined (short of taking it off) I had the most leverage from the top using my body weight to help.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the hotter the construction trades are going at the moment, the more screws and nails I pickup. In the last few years (when things have been hot), I have gotten 4 slow leaks due to nail and screws in the tread. I take them to the shop I buy my tires and he fixes them stat, no charge.

I do have a Nealey kit, a tee handle and drill bit along with a 12v air compressor in my boondocks kit, but haven't had to use it yet.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the hotter the construction trades are going at the moment, the more screws and nails I pickup. In the last few years (when things have been hot), I have gotten 4 slow leaks due to nail and screws in the tread. I take them to the shop I buy my tires and he fixes them stat, no charge.

I do have a Nealey kit, a tee handle and drill bit along with a 12v air compressor in my boondocks kit, but haven't had to use it yet.
Don’t worry, I heard they’re gonna run out of nails and screws soon. It’s the latest shortage.:mad:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what the "pros" say but I was once one of them too. A plug is a permanent fix if it'll hold air. If not, patch it. I once took a tire with 7 plugs in it to the drag strip, did burnouts and all, all night long, just to prove to the naysayers that they hold up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63