Cylinder deactivation for the 2021-2023's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been concerned that the squeal is not present in the 5.3L. It appears to be a characteristic only of the 6.2.

I guess I picked the wrong engine.
Ahh, so you’re already running 93.

If you’re up for the experiment, I’d try clamping that flapper open, or in your case with the 6.2 might be two of them. Even if the noise isn’t coming from underneath, I’d still give it a shot.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
Well, it's been concerned that the squeal is not present in the 5.3L. It appears to be a characteristic only of the 6.2.

I guess I picked the wrong engine.
I'm in the same boat, and I've just given up and drive in L9. The noises that my 6.2 makes relating to DFM are frustrating and embarrassing. And, like you, I've driven at least 6 other 21/22 Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans with the 6.2 and none of them made the noise. I wonder what Cadillac's response is when someone who has spent $120K on an Escalade comes in and demands that they get rid of the noise.

I did contact Range Technology, and they confirmed that they don't have anything yet that will work on our vehicles. I really hope they come out with something soon.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not going to help. There's a TSB out from November 2022 that states that 6.2 liter engines experience squeals and chirps due to the retarding of the spark and the catalyst warm up.

Apparently it affects all 2021 and newer 6.2 engines to different degrees. It would seem that mine is worse than most others.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, and I've just given up and drive in L9. The noises that my 6.2 makes relating to DFM are frustrating and embarrassing. And, like you, I've driven at least 6 other 21/22 Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans with the 6.2 and none of them made the noise. I wonder what Cadillac's response is when someone who has spent $120K on an Escalade comes in and demands that they get rid of the noise.

I did contact Range Technology, and they confirmed that they don't have anything yet that will work on our vehicles. I really hope they come out with something soon.

My truck is currently at its third dealership.

The first dealer that actually tried to address it took $120,000 escalade out and said that it squealed just like mine just a bit quieter. It wouldn't let me ride with them. I just had to take their word for it.

At the second dealership I drove a 6.2 l Tahoe Premier and it also squealed at stops but not during the shifts or on the highway. It stops on squealing was dramatically quieter than mine.

The current dealership that it's at is telling me that none of their vehicles on their lot experience that squealing and that it's absolutely not normal, and that they're going to take it up with GM. Let's hope they do the right thing.

But according to the TSB there's absolutely no fix.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here's GM's bulletin.

Heres a 2022 Silverado with squeal.

The bulletin says there 4 different squeals.

I won the lemon lottery have 3 of the 4.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
Here's GM's bulletin.

Heres a 2022 Silverado with squeal.

The bulletin says there 4 different squeals.

I won the lemon lottery have 3 of the 4.
That really sucks, and i'm sorry you're going through it. Your comment regarding the 6.2 Tahoe Premier being dramatically quieter is spot on. On some of the rentals that I've driven that have the 6.2, they do make the noise, but it is MUCH quieter than mine, and honestly wouldn't bother me at all.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted!

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the GM rhetoric.... paraphrasing.... 'Some trucks make all kinds of different sounds...some none. Like snowflakes, no two are alike". BUT.... all these differing conditions or lack of one is normal and 'functioning as intended'. I guess they had one of joe's writers do the bulletin.

"Important: Dealers should not attempt to compare any
customer vehicles exhibiting these noises with other
similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to
vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion
that the vehicle has a condition. These noises are a
normal operating characteristic of the engine. These
noises have no short- or long-term effect on the engine.
Do not attempt repairs for these noises.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal
components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate
the noise.
Please communicate to the customer that the engine is
functioning as designed and these are normal
conditions of their vehicle. Please share this
information with the customer, including a copy of this
message."

AWSMBLU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any company makes an active fuel management cylinder deactivation disabling device for the current model year, 2021 through 2023?
check their website to see if one is available yet. Made by Holly

Attachments

• IMG_8273.jpeg
    IMG_8273.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check their website to see if one is available yet. Made by Holly
They said it's not. GM rewrote the code for 21+. It was open source before, but now they wrote the code internally.

Range is working on breaking the code to make a model for 21+, but they don't have anything now.

They expect an update by end of year.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the GM rhetoric.... paraphrasing.... 'Some trucks make all kinds of different sounds...some none. Like snowflakes, no two are alike". BUT.... all these differing conditions or lack of one is normal and 'functioning as intended'. I guess they had one of joe's writers do the bulletin.

"Important: Dealers should not attempt to compare any
customer vehicles exhibiting these noises with other
similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to
vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion
that the vehicle has a condition. These noises are a
normal operating characteristic of the engine. These
noises have no short- or long-term effect on the engine.
Do not attempt repairs for these noises.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal
components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate
the noise.
Please communicate to the customer that the engine is
functioning as designed and these are normal
conditions of their vehicle. Please share this
information with the customer, including a copy of this
message."

You are spot on.

"Yes it's perfectly normal and all of our vehicles that we used our crappy components on. If you're lucky enough to be one of the ones that we used are better components on your car does not squeal. Don't compare a car with crappy components to another one with good components because they're not going to sound the same but trust us that it's perfectly normal."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar