Cylinder deactivation for the 2021-2023's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any company makes an active fuel management cylinder deactivation disabling device for the current model year, 2021 through 2023?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on that one. Depending on what build date you are looking at, I may have been deleted from the factory. I know 1500 trucks from May 21 were factory deleted. Maybe it carried over to the SUV line too?

You have to see the build sheet or window sticker to know.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2023 does have cylinder deactivation. It squeals every time it's changing from four-cylinder to eight cylinder.

I know range AFM makes the deactivation devices to disable the fuel management, but they don't make it for the 21 22 or 23.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2023 does have cylinder deactivation. It squeals every time it's changing from four-cylinder to eight cylinder.

I know range AFM makes the deactivation devices to disable the fuel management, but they don't make it for the 21 22 or 23.
DFM is used in the '21+ SUVs and it's a much more sophisticated system than AFM. Each cylinder is capable of being turned off and multiple different patterns of which cylinders are on or off.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thus far, the ECM of this vehicle architecture has not been able to be tuned…GM has it locked down pretty good.

That's what I'm seeing. Range AFM says they still trying to decide if DFM almost 3 years later.

Hoping someone figured it out, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, not sure why anyone wants to deactivate it…not clear to me it would improve lifter life. It’s completely transparent as a driver, I never even know if anything is deactivated or not. So, just drive the thing and enjoy.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, not sure why anyone wants to deactivate it…not clear to me it would improve lifter life. It’s completely transparent as a driver, I never even know if anything is deactivated or not. So, just drive the thing and enjoy.

My 2023 6.2 Tahoe squeals when it shifts between V4/V8.

If I drive in L9 (9th gear) the truck is completely silent.

2 dealers have now told me that squeals, chirping, rumbles, etc because of the DFM is normal.

I've driven 5 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon combos and none have the squealing I have. My company uses GM SUV for work so we have fleet.

Disabling the DFM is the option I have so my truck doesn't squeal down the road when driving through my neighborhood and parking lots.

Tahoe Squealing

Check out the video here's the time stamps. This a 2 minutes drive out of my neighborhood. It happens 10 times in 2 mins.

Keep in mind I have the driver's window open and I'm hold the phone out the window so there a bunch of wind noise. You can only imagine how it sounds as you drive past someone without the wind noise.

The loudest is at the 1:25 time stamp.

It occurs when you stopping. When it's shifting at about 30 mph. When cruising on the highway under 70 mph. When starting up from a cold start. It may not seem like it, but it loud.

:28
:51
1:00
1:12
1:25
1:36
1:44
2:07
2:14

And NONE of the noises exist with the DFM deactivated.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2023 6.2 Tahoe squeals when it shifts between V4/V8.

If I drive in L9 (9th gear) the truck is completely silent.

2 dealers have now told me that squeals, chirping, rumbles, etc because of the DFM is normal.

I've driven 5 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon combos and none have the squealing I have. My company uses GM SUV for work so we have fleet.

Disabling the DFM is the option I have so my truck doesn't squeal down the road when driving through my neighborhood and parking lots.

Tahoe Squealing

Check out the video here's the time stamps. This a 2 minutes drive out of my neighborhood. It happens 10 times in 2 mins.

Keep in mind I have the driver's window open and I'm hold the phone out the window so there a bunch of wind noise. You can only imagine how it sounds as you drive past someone without the wind noise.

The loudest is at the 1:25 time stamp.

It occurs when you stopping. When it's shifting at about 30 mph. When cruising on the highway under 70 mph. When starting up from a cold start. It may not seem like it, but it loud.

:28
:51
1:00
1:12
1:25
1:36
1:44
2:07
2:14

And NONE of the noises exist with the DFM deactivated.
I can only hear the wind, must be by speakers. Unfortunately no DFM disablers as others have said. I’ve found 2 things that seem to make it more tolerable on my ‘22 5.3, 93 octane gas and corsa exhaust. Don’t know if either could help with your noise, but you could start by temporarily clamping your exhaust flapper open to eliminate it from the equation. Not much else you can do aside from L9.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only hear the wind, must be by speakers. Unfortunately no DFM disablers as others have said. I’ve found 2 things that seem to make it more tolerable on my ‘22 5.3, 93 octane gas and corsa exhaust. Don’t know if either could help with your noise, but you could start by temporarily clamping your exhaust flapper open to eliminate it from the equation. Not much else you can do aside from L9.
Well, it's been concerned that the squeal is not present in the 5.3L. It appears to be a characteristic only of the 6.2.

I guess I picked the wrong engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B