Cylinder deactivation for the 2021-2023's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the squeal while cruising, even when L9 (DFM deactivation) is engaged, being caused by the flap.

The TSB does openly state that the squeal that's present when coming to a stop and accelerating from a steady cruise at 60-75 mph is being caused by the retarding of the spark when deactivated cylinders reactivate. Which is why that noise goes away when L9 is engaged.

Honestly, the worst squeal is the one from coming to stops. It embarrassing to hear the car squeal at all 6 stop signs in my neighborhood. Neighbors are looking at me like I'm driving a $90k piece of junk.
With the corsa I can really hear what’s happening with DFM. When coming to a stop the cylinders drop as you’re coasting/braking, and then just before you’re totally stopped the cylinders (and exhaust) come back to life. Some notice a bit of a lurch when that happens, and guessing it’s when the squeal happens you’re describing in the neighborhood. Clamping open the flap is a grasp at straws approach, but seems you’re getting to that point. No guarantee it would help.

Point being, if opening the flaps doesn’t help I doubt an aftermarket muffler or exhaust will either.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the corsa I can really hear what’s happening with DFM. When coming to a stop the cylinders drop as you’re coasting/braking, and then just before you’re totally stopped the cylinders (and exhaust) come back to life. Some notice a bit of a lurch when that happens, and guessing it’s when the squeal happens you’re describing in the neighborhood. Clamping open the flap is a grasp at straws approach, but seems you’re getting to that point. No guarantee it would help.

Point being, if opening the flaps doesn’t help I doubt an aftermarket muffler or exhaust will either.

You hit the nail on the head with the cylinders reactivating once you drop below 14 mph. That's exactly when the squeak happens. Depending on how many cylinders are reactivating determines whether it's a tiny squeal or long drawn out squeal.

Were you hearing the squealing before the Corsa?

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head with the cylinders reactivating once you drop below 14 mph. That's exactly when the squeak happens. Depending on how many cylinders are reactivating determines whether it's a tiny squeal or long drawn out squeal.

Were you hearing the squealing before the Corsa?
Negative, with the 5.3 I only noticed the lurch occasionally and now can hear it with the corsa but don’t feel it. For me cruising around 35 - 40 mph is when DFM has driven me nuts, I get a vibration that goes away with L9. There’s a really noticeable stretch I’m about to drive on for the first time with the corsa today and hope it helps. I’ve noticed it less with the exhaust so far and also running higher octane.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. Does the borla or the aftermarket exhaust the GM sells for the 6.2 cancel out a lot of the squealing?

I may upgrade the exhaust.
With my set up there is no squealing but there is the helicopter sound when it kicks in.

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think I'm ignorant or naive. I've got a 2022 6.2L and have never noticed any change in performance while driving around town or cruising at 65mph. All seems the same to me. 11k miles on the clock.

I haven't made any changes yet though. Stock exhaust, air filter, etc... I've flipped from D to L9 on occasion to see if I can tell a difference, but seems exactly the same.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think I'm ignorant or naive. I've got a 2022 6.2L and have never noticed any change in performance while driving around town or cruising at 65mph. All seems the same to me. 11k miles on the clock.

I haven't made any changes yet though. Stock exhaust, air filter, etc... I've flipped from D to L9 on occasion to see if I can tell a difference, but seems exactly the same.
Any squealing/chirping sound when coming to stop from 25-30 mph. You'll hear it as the speedometer crosses down at 14 mph. Keep drivers windows down only, other windows up.

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've have my windows down almost every chance I get. Never heard any squealing. Winter months they're up though. Weather was unusually nice last week, and windows were down.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any squealing/chirping sound when coming to stop from 25-30 mph. You'll hear it as the speedometer crosses down at 14 mph. Keep drivers windows down only, other windows up.
None. My has a bit of a "belt squeek" sound at cold start, for 30 or so seconds. Pretty sure this is the timing retard and rich running for catalyst light off...other than that, just sounds like a GDI V8.

nedac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Suburban was built in August 2021 and cylinder was deleted at the factory.

According To the dealer that just replaced my POS fuel pump control module after it left me on the road, the cylinder deactivation is the primary cause of lifter failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts