cutting rear springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

screamin86

Reaction score
Alright before i get flamed im here JUST asking. Alright with my thirdgen fbodys cutting springs is the way alott of us go to get the desired ride height and spring rate. I run cut moog iroc springs on my 92 z28 since they are 750lb springs up front and 110 rear ive cut coils to get the right ride height plus i autox the car hard and have no ill effects. Most of the aftermarket lowering springs do not always get the right height plus most are too soft. Ive got the eibach sportlines on my 86 trans am lm7 swap and they are suppose to be a 1.7in drop but my cut moogs on my 92 handle better dont bottom out and has a killer stance. Now enough blabering has it been done on these rigs with decent results? IMO cutting springs is OK if done correctly. between my two fronts on my camaro i took 10mins of cutting with a angle grinder and a cutoff wheel so i wouldnt over heat the coils i alternated between coils doing little cuts at a time. here are some pics of how my car sits now. i havent done the rears yet but its the same principle.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0377291167952_68134568_49127420_7576889_n.jpg

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious Chris, are you just telling us that you think cutting springs is ok or do you have a question you want answered?

OP
OP
screamin86

screamin86

Reaction score
Haha sorry I was just stating my experiance before I got flamed. Has it been done on these trucks with good results? Of course either shock brackets and or lowering shocks would go on too. Not saying I'm going to do it but curious on opinions on how one of these trucks would ride with "trimmed" springs.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the stock springs will ride when trimmed, but I know there are a few lowering springs that people have trimmed to get more drop with no real issues. My initial suggestion would be to see if there are dead coils in the pack and start with those if you are intent on cutting your stockers.

OP
OP
screamin86

screamin86

Reaction score
Well idk if for sure I'm going to lower mine ive been looking around for deals on 2/3 drop kits but thought I'd just see if anyone has tried this. Thought about buying a 2/3 drop and then cutting some stock springs and put them on for a comparison.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought about buying a 2/3 drop and then cutting some stock springs and put them on for a comparison.

This would be interesting. If you choose to do this, please put up pics and let us know what you find.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check to see which shocks you have. If you have the autoride shocks they will maintain the height of the truck and cutting the springs will not have the same impact as on your camaro.

my truck lowered 2-3 inches just replacing the rear shocks. Stock springs are soft on these trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zackhettinger14

Latest posts