Curious about column shifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if the 2015 and up Tahoe's column shifters actually have a linkage or is this somehow electronically controlled? If they are electronic like a Ram, how would you go about shifting the truck out of park if you had a dead battery? Is there some kind of manual release? It maybe a dumb question but I have been curious about it. Thanks.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if the 2015 and up Tahoe's column shifters actually have a linkage or is this somehow electronically controlled? If they are electronic like a Ram, how would you go about shifting the truck out of park if you had a dead battery? Is there some kind of manual release? It maybe a dumb question but I have been curious about it. Thanks.
Tried looking in my manual.... nothing

If keyless I would assume pressing and holding the button for more than 5 sec may put it in acces mode ... even with a dead battery....not sure how dead tho.... a completely exhausted battery and you get nothing so....

On the column, under the rubber boot at base of shift lever there is a pin that you can push in to release the lever. Easy peasy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the column, under the rubber boot at base of shift lever there is a pin that you can push in to release the lever. Easy peasy
So you're thinking there is a mechanical linkage that physically moves the tranny into neutral when you push this pin and move the shifter into the neutral range? Lets say there is no battery in the truck. Moving the shifter would still need to be moving a linkage I assume or the transmission would stay in park.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're thinking there is a mechanical linkage that physically moves the tranny into neutral when you push this pin and move the shifter into the neutral range? Lets say there is no battery in the truck. Moving the shifter would still need to be moving a linkage I assume or the transmission would stay in park.
Yes, I believe its still a cable (linkage) on these trucks and from what i can tell by pushing that pin, you’ll be able to move it out if park. I haven’t tried it yet tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645