Cranks but no start...continued *SOLVED*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mtimko57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lets get you going in the right direction. Update your torque app to torque pro and add extended GM PIDS, set up cam offset degrees. key on read codes. clear codes. 1) add ground wire to firewall stud to engine, anywhere easy and out of the way, prefer 10 Ga but anything will work for now. 2) test ICM Plug 3) test coil plug. If those test ok, spark tester to coil terminal.If that works spark tester to dist coil terminal. If that works try to start. If a P-1351 shows on scanner move dist a little and retighten and remember direction. If you marked dist when removed and it lined up after exactly then you are close. Cam offset is "0"+/-"1" above 1000 rpm. Keep moving Dist till it starts, then adjust to final 0 degrees. Don't crank it with dist loose, it will move. 2handed loose is ok but tighten after final setting.Try that and report back.
Also order a new dist cap, you WILL need it.

I got it running!!!! So I tried added the new ground and nothing, still the same. Had the spark tester plugged on plug 3. Was about to test the signals into the coil while I leaned against the coil to dist. wire and started seeing the spark tester go off. It fired up and seconds later died. Got my mind going so I had my boy crank it again as I wiggled the coil wire and it started back up. I put a new wire on and it is starting every time now. No codes are getting thrown. Seems to have fixed the issue!!!

Still curious how the tow truck guy banged on the fuel tank and got it to fire up???

Thanks for your assistance. BTW I ended up adding the GM PIDS and was unable to locate cam offset degrees. Is it under another name maybe? I scanned the list multiple times.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a cell phone! look for abbreviations like CMP or go to torque site. Glad you mistakenly figured it out. If you had gone thru the diagnostics that were suggested, Coil wire would have been obvious. Replace all wires and cap soon, or you will have other related issues.
Please "EDIT" your title - add "SOLVED". Thanks.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, you learned what happens to plug wires when they get pulled on, If ya ever have to grab them, pull the boot back and grab the steel. Resistance test is 10000 ohms per foot definately fail. 5000, better order quick.
Recommend RockAuto. Sponsor here with discount.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up adding the GM PIDS and was unable to locate cam offset degrees. Is it under another name maybe? I scanned the list multiple times.

Should be under “CMP Retard”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corbin dallas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, you learned what happens to plug wires when they get pulled on, If ya ever have to grab them, pull the boot back and grab the steel. Resistance test is 10000 ohms per foot definately fail. 5000, better order quick.
Recommend RockAuto. Sponsor here with discount.
hello EXP500,...I have a similar problem. a no start. traced it to no injector pulse on any cylinder at the plug to the spider. its a 96 suburban 5.7 spider injection. wondering if you could help??? if so message me and I will write out everything up until this point I have replaced and tested
thanks

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corbin-Just Post up in GMT400. Anything I forget to tell you, someone else will fill in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n