cranking with hids on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to crank with the low beams on if I have 35 watt hids or should I switch to highs when I kill the truck. My kit didn't come with a harness.

OP
OP
Yuk_Nali_6.0

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant relay, not harness but I think I do have one after all.

OP
OP
Yuk_Nali_6.0

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I installed the ddm HIDs and I get a "low engine power" message on the dash and the truck starts running rough. The message and rough idle went away but now the engine light is on. Guess i'll be cranking with the highs on after all.
How do I clear the engine light now. I'm ready to throw this shit in the garbage.

[SIZE

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Nevermind engine light went off. Guess i'll buy a relay.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude my first set did the exact same thing, gave up, took them out, hated them. same code, dis-connect battery to reset everytime it did it, hated it. THEN I found this
http://www.switch-smart.com/

ordered two AR-02's, fixed it, have had them in for about 6 months, not ONE misfire ever again. They both fire up everytime. Simple hook up, to HID and battery.

I highly suggest getting a couple of these, same as harness, and will fix the issues entirely. Went down the same road as you.

Until you get the relay, at night, press down emergency brake a couple clicks, fire truck, lift up on E brake, headlights will then come on after truck is running. remeber,set E brake before cranking. The 'shock' won't happen everytime if you don't do this, but occationally, which still makes ya mad :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuk_Nali_6.0

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton Blue! So this is the same as a wiring harness? I talked to a tech guy at ddm and he suggested I try a harness.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I tried the e-brake trick but the lights still came on when I cranked. I thought the brake only disabled the DRLs. I tried cranking with the highs on too but that didn't help either.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, similar to the harness, this has like 4 wires to hook up, and i ran and hid all wire under plastic panel covering radiator. You can't see it anywhere. I have not had one issue since I put them in. $40 for two, not a bad deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove