Cranking issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommyboy2280

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all new to the group here I have a 2007 GMC Yukon with a 5.3 in it. My problem is that you can charge the battery overnight and it will crank first thing in the morning but when you take the charger off and walk away it goes dead once you try to restart it, it’s just like the battery slap dead. Any ideas on what to look for?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all new to the group here I have a 2007 GMC Yukon with a 5.3 in it. My problem is that you can charge the battery overnight and it will crank first thing in the morning but when you take the charger off and walk away it goes dead once you try to restart it, it’s just like the battery slap dead. Any ideas on what to look for?
Tell us about the battery. How old is it? AGM? Brand?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First step is to swap the battery and see if the problem continues. I've had batteries fail in a year or less, so Walmart will hopefully warranty it for you. 99% sure that will solve your problem. I can't think of any parasitic drain issues that would drain a battery that fast in one of these. Over a few days or a week, sure, but not in a matter of minutes or a few hours as seems to be happening for you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alternator not charging perhaps? Most likely a battery issue but something to bear in mind if the truck is having to run off the battery because the ALT is not working.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a volt meter with min/max, you can hook it to the battery terminals and see what your voltage drop is. I'd do one right after the charger and then one later like you described. My thoughts are you have a couple bad or weak cells in the battery.

Also, use your meter to check voltage when the engine is running. You should see around 14v

Last step is to have someone test the battery with a load tester to see what the actual CCA is available

OP
OP
T

Tommyboy2280

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First step is to swap the battery and see if the problem continues. I've had batteries fail in a year or less, so Walmart will hopefully warranty it for you. 99% sure that will solve your problem. I can't think of any parasitic drain issues that would drain a battery that fast in one of these. Over a few days or a week, sure, but not in a matter of minutes or a few hours as seems to be happening for you.
That’s what I was thinking, just wanted to see if I got the same response

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288