couple of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off I have switched keys on the front and lifted it up to fit my 285/70/17 general grabbers and the back has been squating and driving me nuts, so today I tackle the spring spacers. I got new springs just because I was gonna be there and I had 40 dollar credit on Amazon. anywho i got old springs out and when i went to put my new springs and spacers on I didnt have enough room. from the reading I have done I was understanding there would be enough room. but wasnt. do I need to compress the springs or did I do something wrong?second question I jacked up threads on sway bar link and need to replace it, no big deal but when I get spacers in would it be better to get different links? or are the factory ones suitable? thanks for any input and I'm sure I could have found this info with some digging was just hoping for some knowledge in one spot. thanks in advance.

richs1

Reaction score
first off I have switched keys on the front and lifted it up to fit my 285/70/17 general grabbers and the back has been squating and driving me nuts, so today I tackle the spring spacers. I got new springs just because I was gonna be there and I had 40 dollar credit on Amazon. anywho i got old springs out and when i went to put my new springs and spacers on I didnt have enough room. from the reading I have done I was understanding there would be enough room. but wasnt. do I need to compress the springs or did I do something wrong?second question I jacked up threads on sway bar link and need to replace it, no big deal but when I get spacers in would it be better to get different links? or are the factory ones suitable? thanks for any input and I'm sure I could have found this info with some digging was just hoping for some knowledge in one spot. thanks in advance.
What size spacers are you using?

OP
OP
H

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 inch spacers, have the billstein 5100 for the lift.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the shocks? If so the rear end should drop as much as needed.

OP
OP
H

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the shocks? If so the rear end should drop as much as needed.
yea I had both shocks off and rear end dropped then another jack on each side jacking up like a see-saw and there was enough room for spring and maybe 3/4 inch

richs1

Reaction score
yea I had both shocks off and rear end dropped then another jack on each side jacking up like a see-saw and there was enough room for spring and maybe 3/4 inch
Did you buy oversized springs? I have a Z71, they have larger springs than a regular tahoe, and I used 2 inch spacers. It was hard to get them in, but I eventually got them in. With 3 inch keys, and 2 inch spacers, I’m a little over 39 inches at all four wheel wells. If your new springs are oversized to begin with, it will be difficult.

richs1

Reaction score
Need to make a correction, I only added 1.5 inch spacers in the rear....2.5 is going to be difficult to install with stock springs...

OP
OP
H

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to make a correction, I only added 1.5 inch spacers in the rear....2.5 is going to be difficult to install with stock springs...
I ordered the moog 81069, I have a z71 and they were about 3/4 inch taller but factory springs are 15 years old and 149,000 on them.

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Z71 springs and 2-1/2" spacers would be tough to get in. Just get a spring compressor set from Harbor Freight for $30 and it would be a lot easier.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Z71 springs and 2-1/2" spacers would be tough to get in. Just get a spring compressor set from Harbor Freight for $30 and it would be a lot easier.
Or a loan-a-tool program for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan