Cost/Benefit - Whipple or TSP Cam

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Drob78, Dec 4, 2019.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. Drob78

Drob78 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Derek
    Looking for insight as I weight the option of either a Whipple or Cam on my 2019 6.2RST.

Whipple is ~$6500, maybe a bit more/less depending on where it’s purchased. Seems 150rwhp gains are experienced, and I could tackle the installation.

CAM would be ~ $1200-$1400 with phaser and DOD delete (estimation) however this install is above my skill set. Professional install would be..., another $1200?? And performance impact, I haven’t been able to find a dyno comparison, is it 20-30rwhp or 50-60?

Appreciate anyone’s experience, suggestions and guidance on the matter.

Thanks

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    The supercharger is the best bang for the buck of these two options. 100+ horsepower versus 20+? 5 to 1 power difference, 2 to 1 cost difference.

3. gat0r

gat0r Full Access Member

Name:
    Jay
    get both & Add LT headers ;)

4. noob

noob Full Access Member

Name:
    stephen
    Twin turbo!!!

swathdiver likes this.
  5. sealandsky

sealandsky Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    You have the only other Tahoe / Yukon with the same wheels as mine that I've come across! I'm driving a Callaway Yukon Denali and find the 120 HP gain to be adequate, less power = not good in my mind. I'd do the Whipple, but if warranty is important then bring your RST to Callaway for the conversion.

Drob78 and swathdiver like this.
  6. hcvone

hcvone Full Access Member

Name:
    Carl
    I have supercharged and twin turbo charged cars and an SUV before, the problem is resale, no one wants it when you try to sell it, so you spend the money and turn it back to stock to resell it, I tried something different this time, ordered my truck and had it shipped to Callaway, and I am just so pleased, and with the 5 year 60k warranty from Callaway and GM the next owner will have nothing to worry about

[​IMG]

Drob78, Countryboy07 and The_Burban like this.
  7. 91RS

91RS Full Access Member

Name:
    D
    You won't get the most power from a cam unless you do long tube headers also to let it breathe. The same applies to the supercharger (you probably won't get a 150hp gain without headers) but if you don't want to do headers, the supercharger will get you much more power than the cam. I also wouldn't recommend deleting the VVT on a truck, it REALLY helps them get out of the hole. Regardless, if you have the money the supercharger is going to be best for power with great drivability whether you do headers or not.

8. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Install the cam yourself and it won’t cost much. New cam and dual valve springs for less than $500. It can be done through the front without removing the heads. I did mine in my 02 in a day and I’ve never done it before. Every shop wanted to do it from the top which meant pulling the Whipple and heads.

9. 91RS

91RS Full Access Member

Name:
    D
    Yeah, because that's the right way to do it. Who replaces a cam and doesn't replace the lifters? Besides the fact that these trucks have horrible lifter problems and the AFM needs to be deleted which also requires lifter replacement. Hardened pushrods are needed and a trunnion upgrade on the rocker arms is highly recommended. It will cost more like $1500 in parts to do it right.

10. undy

undy Full Access Member

Name:
    Dave
    Heavy vehicle: Supercharger
    Light vehicle: Cam

Big Mama and 91RS like this.