Coolant Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Escalade 6.2 AWD

I was changing my plugs and wires and noticed a faint coolant smell when I was doing the driver side plugs. Didn't really see anything that jumped out at me so to get a starting point I'd figured I'd ask -are there any "common" places to look for potential leaks?

I'm gonna eventually put it up on the lift and run it and see if I can see anything from underneath but something to go off would be helpful.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the places I'm familiar with leaks are all on the passenger side. There is a hose that connects to firewall on passenger side that has a plastic end somewhat common for going bad. Are you losing fluid? If so, I would imagine a drip somewhere.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just marked the tank to see if it goes down next time I look at it. It's extremely small if it's leaking anywhere as I haven't had to add coolant since owning it (october 2016). Part of me taking ownership and seeting a baseline for all the maintenance was to eventually R&R the cooling system and add fresh coolant, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the places I'm familiar with leaks are all on the passenger side. There is a hose that connects to firewall on passenger side that has a plastic end somewhat common for going bad. Are you losing fluid? If so, I would imagine a drip somewhere.

So I discovered after it sat in my garage for about 6 hours, there was a small (about 2" diameter circle) spot of orange liquid, turned out it was coolant...my truck is the only one int he household with Dex-Cool so it wasn't any other car. It was on the passenger side of the car, however I couldn't find any place in the engine bay that looked like there would be a leak, it was raining so it was already wet and dirty...anywhere specific I should look?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the leak hit the floor? The common places that leak is the hose that connects to firewall. I'm still learning so hopefully someone can provide better feedback on other places to check or better ways to check.

CreyCrey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would check the T connectors at the fire wall. I just had to replace both of mine. Check all the coolant hoses (cracks or swelling), check the water pump, coolant tank itself for cracks. Just a few spots to check.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I would check the T connectors at the fire wall. I just had to replace both of mine. Check all the coolant hoses (cracks or swelling), check the water pump, coolant tank itself for cracks. Just a few spots to check.
X2 very very very common

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts