converting to flexfuel e85??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
im sure you all have heard of the conversion kits that plug into your injectors, allowing you to run e85 in almost any vehicle. im seriously considering this. pros and cons?

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
WTF for? E85 is the same price as gas, harder on the motor as its harder to combust... its harder to find so you need to really plan your fills ups and you get worse gas milage with the shit... i think thats dumb, my truck is supposed to take E85 but i hvee since tuned the hoe to take only premium.

HOWEVER... e85 is actaully 105 octane, so there MIGHT be a benifit if you can tune your truck to accept ONLY e85. This is something you might want to direct to Justin or Jenna though

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
E85 has practical application with forced induction, otherwise I don't see the point especially if you have to spend money to mod the vehicle to accept a different fuel. Evo/Sti fanboys have been running that shit for years, helps keep the intake cooler and you can generally run a bit more boost and/or timing with E85. I don't see the logic in a conversion for your truck tho, regular 93 works fine.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Aren't the EPA MPG ratings actually LESS with E85?

this is correct but the EPA obviously tests the vehicle that is made to accept both e85 and standard fuel.... i do believe (im not sure though) that you can re-tune for the e85 to fix some of the pitfalls of corn-fuel

OP
OP
J-Will

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
WTF for? E85 is the same price as gas, harder on the motor as its harder to combust... its harder to find so you need to really plan your fills ups and you get worse gas milage with the shit... i think thats dumb, my truck is supposed to take E85 but i hvee since tuned the hoe to take only premium.

HOWEVER... e85 is actaully 105 octane, so there MIGHT be a benifit if you can tune your truck to accept ONLY e85. This is something you might want to direct to Justin or Jenna though

idk what its like in arizona. but e85 is a buck cheaper here in spfld mo. im just tired of the gas prices! and how much this ****** goes thru on a weekly basis lol. so im checkin into things that may help me out

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dad tried it... he got half the mileage per tank (2 tanks) than with 87.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I'm the only ******* that doesnt have a huge gripe, *****, and complain about running E85.

Look, my truck is a flex fuel. Right now E85 is $2.29 a gallon, whereas, Regular 87 is $2.89 a gallon. IMHO, E85 is still too much and should cost a lil to over a $1.00 gallon. But thats just me.

So needless to say, I use it. My MPG drop by 3. Ok, not a huge deal, especially when you figure that, for me, 70% savings more than makes up for it.

From some of the conversion kits I have seen, you need to also add 1/2 tank of regular gas so as to not trip a CEL. I dont know if the conversion kit youre looking at is like that.

I saw some conversion kits at the chicago auto show when I went. I didnt inquire about them, cause both my vehicles are flex.

FYI, I had a 96 Crown Vic. Just for ***** and grins, I switched over to E85. I heard every opinion out there as to what i can expect and why I shouldnt do it. I said eff it. I just switched to E85 w/o a tune. I ran straight E85 for over 30000 miles and never noticed an issue, much less, never trippes an CEL.

IMHO, if you wanna do the conversion,GO AHEAD.

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i remember a track test with 2 identical new flex fuel tahoes. after the exact same driving in each all day one running 87 and the other running e85. it turned out they saved 1 cent per gallon running e85 due to the mileage loss.

e85 is for forced induction street/strip cars imo.

OP
OP
J-Will

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I'm the only ******* that doesnt have a huge gripe, *****, and complain about running E85.

Look, my truck is a flex fuel. Right now E85 is $2.29 a gallon, whereas, Regular 87 is $2.89 a gallon. IMHO, E85 is still too much and should cost a lil to over a $1.00 gallon. But thats just me.

So needless to say, I use it. My MPG drop by 3. Ok, not a huge deal, especially when you figure that, for me, 70% savings more than makes up for it.

From some of the conversion kits I have seen, you need to also add 1/2 tank of regular gas so as to not trip a CEL. I dont know if the conversion kit youre looking at is like that.

I saw some conversion kits at the chicago auto show when I went. I didnt inquire about them, cause both my vehicles are flex.

FYI, I had a 96 Crown Vic. Just for ***** and grins, I switched over to E85. I heard every opinion out there as to what i can expect and why I shouldnt do it. I said eff it. I just switched to E85 w/o a tune. I ran straight E85 for over 30000 miles and never noticed an issue, much less, never trippes an CEL.

IMHO, if you wanna do the conversion,GO AHEAD.

thank you! somebody with an open mind. i know for the first tank you have to fill with 1/2 87 and 1/2 e85, so the computer can figure out how it burns. after that you can do any combo or just straight e85. ive been lookin at it for a while. just wanted some hard evidence from ppl that arent tryin to sell a product to me ya know? not somebody to tell me its retarded. im not comin at you guys with sweet ass neon kits sayin ur ***** retarded. just wantin some good info :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ILOVELONGISLAND