converting 99 Yukon over to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WyoDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a 99 Yukon. I want to yank the FI off do to some major problems with it. I want to install a intake and carb, What is the best way on the vortec 5.7. I am basicly going to use this truck for trails, so it will be beat on some. Eventually going solid axle, lift, skid plates, the whole 9 yards.
So has anyone done this and what is needed to do it.

Tim

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You are looking at some major money involve to even try to get it to work and a lot of other functions such as tranny control, 4wd, abs, cruise, steering, fuel pump control (and replacement) and gauge, evap, intake manifold, ignition, dizzy will seriously be effected or disabled. did i mention that the truck will essentially cease to work properly. also that it is illegal to do so if you drive it on the street for even a moment. How about you explain in detail what is wrong with your system so we can get it fixed?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it!
5.7 vortecs wake the **** up when carbed!

Painless wire harnes, Rip all that FI garbage out!
MSD ignition,
GM hotwire kit for fuel pump,
Evap is simple to retrofit to a carb style intake.. IF you even give 2 turtle ***** about MPG or EPA garbage at that time.
yank the trans and drop in a 700R, or do a full maual valve body on the 4l60, which ever you prefer.

If going full time trail toy, swap the transfer case for a full manual version and pull the center console out for the sticks.
Thats about what i remember from the last one I did years ago.. More will come back..

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WyoDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check my other post about Yukon not stay running. The gal that owns it is all but given up on it so I figured if I could get it cheap. I could turn it to a trail truck. As I haven't had one since just before Xmas 2010 when my 95 Explorer got totaled by my son on an icy interstate. So I am not really sure what is up with the FI. But it does need other things besides.( not to mention the driver rear door glass) But will cross that bridge. Since It would be a trail truck MPG doesn't matter too much. I would be a slow as I could afford it build.

Tim

OP
OP
W

WyoDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
being that it is not mine I will check with the owner and post when I find out more info.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok a few things to consider here , I agree with sunlit about Just fixing the said FI problem . x2 even if you did all the work yourself that is one hell of a Job to undertake , for one I don't see you gaining much If any power and unless tuned correctly I could see you actually losing HP doing this Unless you have a nice set of Boltons to go with.

Another thing is that carb motors don't do that well Offroad , Yes Mud wise they are ok and even a little bit of trail riding but they Fail in altitudes Unless you can pull over and adjust it and when taking hill climbs the vehicle can Die

OP
OP
W

WyoDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
she is not that internet savy. plus her home computer is crap( her words) but I will sugest it.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC