Convert Lear Car2U to Homelink?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site and found you through a search about installing a Homelink into a 2014 Suburban. I've read through this discussion and had a couple questions. I have dropped the roof console … remove plastic lightcover by using your fingernails. It releases if you pull the plastic from the side of the lens toward the front. If you pull from the back it will break off the tangs. Once removed, there are two torx screws that back out and hold in place. The console will hang, but there are still two clips midway on the console that must be pulled out by rocking and pulling straight down.

Now my questions. My Suburban didn't come with the homelink, so I'm retrofitting. There is a mount for the Homelink with two screw lugs to screw mount it into the console, but there is no harness clip for the Homelink connector and I will also have to Dremel out holes for the Homelink buttons. I bought a 2003 Homelink and it has three wires. Does anyone know which wire terminals from the main harness will supply the Homelink unit?

Or if you already have the Homelink and have a photo of the wiring and can post it, it sure would be appreciated? I'd simply set up the wires to the main harness terminal.

Last edited:

FuzzyChopz

Reaction score
FWIW, I have a newer (2012) Craftsman garage door opener and had to purchase a 50$ repeater for my Lear 2 U garage door opener (from the company) to work in my 2007 Tahoe. In my other car 2008 Ford Edge, equipped with Home link. I called them up and they sent me a repeater for free. So you have to ask yourself...should you purchase the 50$ repeater or all new parts for a Home link? ...just putting it out there.

P.S. if you have Home link, call them up and they will give you a free repeater...both have great customer service.

SaltyDogma

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It works!!!

Thank you hotmanali!!

This was exactly what I was looking for, and took a chance it would work. It did, and was an easy swap out - part for part.

I was concerned the part was for a non-sun roof overhead console, but it worked just fine.

I think this is a much better solution than trying to use the relay (which has terrible reviews). Works with all my locations, no batteries in the remote to deal with, and most importantly, no extra device in the garage which has to work...

Why GM decided to save a few bucks and go with an inferior product...

Nick161024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Tahoe and I cannot get my garage door to work with my system. My garage door opener is a 2006 linear. I followed the instructions to the tee and I have had no luck. Any Suggestions.

snkue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dumb question

Thanks for the advise. I actually bought the two parts needed. Now for the dumb question...exactly how does the overhead console come off. Does the entire unit come out, or just the section with the garage door openers in it?

Usually I end up costing myself more by damaging other things trying to fix cheap stuff!

Thanks!

Phil
Hi I have the same problem how did the parts swap work out. thanks

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From reading the lear2u website. they only used them on GM cars 2007-2013. My 2014 Caddy is homelink compatible, and it works fine. So any 2014 GM car should work fine. The big question is, why did the OP use Buick parts, and not Chevy parts from 2014??

ldiastx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well i did it.....

We found the correct parts to convert and ditch Lear car2u (POS system) to Homelink in a Yukon. The conversion you need requires 2 parts and it will be all done.

The parts are from a 2013 Buick Enclave but it is Homelink and it is security 2.0 compatible so you don't even need Homelink repeaters for newer garage doors. It works with new and old. The shape is the same, the electrical connection is the same. The only difference is that when you put in the Homelink you will only have a center light vs lear uses 3 lights.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...re/overhead-console/garage-dr-opener/10311607

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...ardware/overhead-console/transmitter/20929720

This was a major headache for me but it was VERY necessary. I have my home with a new garage door opener and my father in-law has a new garage door opener and a new opener on the gate and i couldn't open any of the 3.

If this helps only 1 person i'll be happy because it was silly that GM switched and made it difficult for customers.

This was SO EASY. Removing the overhead console was the hardest part. Under 20 minutes and I was loving my garage door opener in my. 2013 Yukon.

The removal of the overhead console is by removing 2 Torx screws that are underneath the plastic dome light cover.

WildWillie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made this swap today on my 2010 Denali, using donor parts from a 2011 Buick Enclave. Fit like a glove, and programmed my Chamberlain garage door on the 1st attempt. When looking for parts (Look for overhead roof console on Ebay, junkyard), goto the Homelink website and plug in the donor car info. If you don't get a compatability warning, you're good to go! Lens cover comes off from the front, and pivots to the rear. I used an old credit card to get the 2 front clips to disengage. 2 screws, 2 plugs, swap, reassembly, voila!!

Thanks to all for their help and research!!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's this LearCar2U thing? Is that the name of this system that GM put in these things when they switched from Homelink? My '08 programmed to my Chamberlain/Liftmaster door operators just fine. It's not quite as easy as Homelink, but not difficult, either. Just a different process. I learned a trick where you have to press and hold whichever button you're programming for about a second, then let go for a second, hold for a second, etc. until the operator responds. Sometimes this process has to be repeated two or three times if the rolling code thing isn't matched up before the programming mode of the operator times out. I used to install overhead doors and automated gates and would always program the customer's cars for them, mainly just so I could check out their rides. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907