Convert Lear Car2U to Homelink?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moe1979IL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully converted a Lear door system to homelink, by purchasing a homelink transponder on eBay and then installing in a newer (2009) Tahoe? Homelinks are abundant and cheap on eBay, and I'm wondering if the same wiring connection exists for both systems...and also if space within the upper console who accommodate the Homelink brand part.

Also, has anyone been placed on Lear's waiting list for the free generation II upgrade and actually received it for a 2009 Tahoe?

AliBaba

Reaction score
Has anyone done this?

On this topic it looks like GM is using homelink again in the 2014 Yukon/XL/Tahoe/Suburbans. Thank being said i don't see why it's not possible to just get a new module from the parts department and plug it in. That will allow it to work with all the new Security 2.0 garage door's and ditch Lear Car2u.

AliBaba

Reaction score
So update for you all.....

Dealer ordered the 2014 model transmitter which is supposed to be Homelink but came in as lear with a different part number. Still does not work with any garage door made after 1/1/2011.

Lear's website shows they don't produce anything for GM after 2013.

Homelink's website shows they are in the 2014 models but when you call they say they don't even have information on that in their systems.

Right now for anyone wanting homelink the only option is to order the Homelink 5 aftermarket option and install it in place of the Lear remote. Cost is $199 on ebay but it beats ordering repeaters for everything. I have 3 homes with 3 garages i can't open so this will be my next option if GM can't figure it out.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Well i did it.....

We found the correct parts to convert and ditch Lear car2u (POS system) to Homelink in a Yukon. The conversion you need requires 2 parts and it will be all done.

The parts are from a 2013 Buick Enclave but it is Homelink and it is security 2.0 compatible so you don't even need Homelink repeaters for newer garage doors. It works with new and old. The shape is the same, the electrical connection is the same. The only difference is that when you put in the Homelink you will only have a center light vs lear uses 3 lights.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...re/overhead-console/garage-dr-opener/10311607

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...ardware/overhead-console/transmitter/20929720

This was a major headache for me but it was VERY necessary. I have my home with a new garage door opener and my father in-law has a new garage door opener and a new opener on the gate and i couldn't open any of the 3.

If this helps only 1 person i'll be happy because it was silly that GM switched and made it difficult for customers.

s4thrills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well i did it.....

We found the correct parts to convert and ditch Lear car2u (POS system) to Homelink in a Yukon. The conversion you need requires 2 parts and it will be all done.

The parts are from a 2013 Buick Enclave but it is Homelink and it is security 2.0 compatible so you don't even need Homelink repeaters for newer garage doors. It works with new and old. The shape is the same, the electrical connection is the same. The only difference is that when you put in the Homelink you will only have a center light vs lear uses 3 lights.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...re/overhead-console/garage-dr-opener/10311607

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...ardware/overhead-console/transmitter/20929720

This was a major headache for me but it was VERY necessary. I have my home with a new garage door opener and my father in-law has a new garage door opener and a new opener on the gate and i couldn't open any of the 3.

If this helps only 1 person i'll be happy because it was silly that GM switched and made it difficult for customers.

Was this a straight swap out? I ordered a similar GM part # 10311606 thinking I could swap it out and it's going to take a lot of retrofitting to do so. If you can confirm this fits with no modification then I will sell the one I bought and buy this instead.

As an FYI - I have a 2014 model (December 2013 build date) and my car came with the Lear opener.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Yes it was a straight swap out. The mounting holes, light holes and button holes are identical.

The only difference is that Lear uses all 3 lights and each correspond with a button. Home Link has a middle light and is the same light for all 3 buttons. You will still have 3 holes for the lights but only the middle will ever light up. Personally i don't care as long as it works.

Just make sure you order both part numbers. One is the buttons and the other is the unit itself.

Good luck.

gmshtr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dumb question

Thanks for the advise. I actually bought the two parts needed. Now for the dumb question...exactly how does the overhead console come off. Does the entire unit come out, or just the section with the garage door openers in it?

Usually I end up costing myself more by damaging other things trying to fix cheap stuff!

Thanks!

Phil

AliBaba

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I actually bought the two parts needed. Now for the dumb question...exactly how does the overhead console come off. Does the entire unit come out, or just the section with the garage door openers in it?

Usually I end up costing myself more by damaging other things trying to fix cheap stuff!

Thanks!

Phil

It's been so long i can't remember how to take that console off. I believe there are 2 screws in the light behind the lens and then the rest are clips so you can just carefully pull.

minytrker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know about this solution and ended up adding my garage door opener to my internet and can control through an app now on my phone. I still have the stock openers that came with the opener in 2 vehicles but I have more than 2 vehicles is the issue. Thanks for posting the part numbers and how to do it.