Convert 4WD to 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
I dont know where else to post this question/discussion, so here it is.

Let me start off by saying/asking, please! I have heard it all and read it all before, so please if you cannot entertain the thought of what i am asking, or just want to be a naysayer and tell me to not waste my time or sell my 4x4 and buy a 2wd truck, please keep it to yourself. I am asking these questions for more than the obvious reason and i like to know the info. If you have personal experience with with subject or know someone personally or on the interwebs that has done this conversion and can point to the info, i would appreciate the discussion. if you have extensive knowledge of this subject and can comment with constructive criticism please do so. if you are a GM employee or work at a GM only wrecking yard or some other something similar, please speak up.

I say all of this up front because i have read all the BS and naysaying going the opposite way from 2WD to 4x4. I know what people are saying and why they are advising against the conversion. however i dont much care for opinion that doesnt matter to anyone else other than the negative people with the negative opinions.

I recently purchased a 2003 Tahoe 4x4 that is 99.9% stock. it has like 250k miles on it and the suspension parts are starting to wear or in some cases completely worn out. I am of the mindset that if the asphalt doesnt go there, neither does my truck. I have 13 trucks and every single one is 4x4 or AWD, I want a true street suspension 2 wheel drive truck that i can play with on the street.

So, here is where i start asking the hard to get answers from questions.

HOW hard will it be to convert the 4x4 tahoe to a true 2WD tahoe. I know that i could cheat the system and just remove the axle shafts and front driveline. this is however not the route i wish to go. I could remove the transfer case and install a 2wd transmission, again not the direction i wish to go. what i would really like to do is convert the front suspension over to true 2WD coil spring suspension, just like the front of the 2005 1500 crew cab that i once had. I had that truck long enough to pull the engine and trans and sawsall the truck into bits because it was crashed, never really paid attention to what the front suspension actually consisted of.

My parents 2004 Tahoe is 2WD but it is a Torsion Bar front suspension.

At my job a few jobs ago we got in a crashed 2006 Denali 2WD that was bagged on all 4 corners to the point it laid frame but i dont know how 'stock type' any of the suspension was because it was 100% custom fabricated control arms in the front and trailing arms in the rear.

I have checked out the GM upfitter website but have been unable to confirm that there is any difference between the frames. I have called on 2WD tahoes for sale on craigslist and facebook to find out if they are coil spring fronts but have not been able to get any solid info. the local wrecking yard has 2WD tahoes and escalades (i didnt know the escalde was available in anything other than AWD) but they are unable to tell me if they are torsion bar or coil spring in the front. GOOD info is so difficult to find.

The only other option i have at this point would be to buy the front frame half of a 2WD truck including the complete suspension and compare the actual hardware and mount points on the frame to see what the actual difference is. AND then start swapping parts.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SOLID INFO ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES IN THE FRAMES BETWEEN A 2WD COIL SPRING AND 4X4 TORSION FRONT SUSPENSION?

What are the changes that need to be done to the ECM or the BCM or ??? electronics? simply remove the dash switch and fuse and be done with the electronics portion? or is there likely to be more to it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I welcome the discussion. Thanks in advance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK the suspensions on the 800s are the same regardless of drive type. You'll have to change out your front hubs for 2WD ones, replace a shaft inside the transmission to work with 2WD tailhousing if memory serves. Need to fab up a new, longer, driveshaft. A Tuner can probably delete all the code and warnings for the 4x4 system as it relates to ECM but may be have flash BCM with 2WD data to remove 4x4 stuff. Don't know enough about that but someone might.

Steve has some first hand experience here about at least some of what you are wanting to do: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/yukon-down-awd-delete-headers-converter-etc.81191/

@01ssreda4

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the GMT-800 SUV's have torsion bars and the old crappy worm style gear steering gear. The pickup trucks are pretty different in the GMT-800 chassis to the SUV's. If I'm remembering correctly, you need to change the transmission, drive shaft, and swap the front hubs to 2WD deleting the 4WD components along the way. Disconnect the transfer case control module and if any warning lights still remain, tuning will be needed.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All full size GM Truck/Suv chassis have IFS (Independent front suspension)....AKA Torsion bars and shocks. No coilover.
Nope, 2WD trucks had front coil springs and no torsion bars. Maybe certain cab configurations were different but I know the reg cab 2wd is coil sprung. The SUV's had torsion bars regardless of 2wd or 4x4.

OP
OP
I

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
Nope, 2WD trucks had front coil springs and no torsion bars. Maybe certain cab configurations were different but I know the reg cab 2wd is coil sprung. The SUV's had torsion bars regardless of 2wd or 4x4.

I have seen coil front 2WD tahoes. Maybe not factory but I have seen them. Looking last night at the street suspension Tahoe pages there is at least one guy who has a coil spring front as he makes notes of the lowering suspension parts. In 2011...

OP
OP
I

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
7th post in lowering guide with pictures... JKMotorsports has a 2We coil spring 2001 Tahoe. Just saying it is/was available. Just need to figure out the differences.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No gmt800 suv was ever made with coil springs, only torsion bars. If you look at the official drop guide thread, jkmotorsports clearly states he is dropped with spindles and keys. Good news is, the only difference between the two is the hub (it’s really the same hub except for no provision for a cv axle spline) and lack of cv axles, so component wise it’a the same. Gmt900 has strut suspension regardless of 2wd or 4wd.

If you really really wanted to convert to a coil spring, 2wd truck control arms will mount in the stock location, but you’ll have to weld a spring perch to the frame and there might be clearance issues elsewhere

Edit: Also if you wanted a true street truck suspension, you might as well ditch the coil spring idea and go to coilovers. Which is quite easy to convert to on the torsion bar suspension. Visit atomicfabandperformance.com a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snackcake01