Considering 2016 Z71 Tahoe - Need Some Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I need a little advice and help. I'm looking to buy a new 2016 Z71 Tahoe this week and do not have any experience with the new model. A local dealership recently got one (1) in stock and I haven't been able to test drive it yet. My former Z71 was a 2004, and I drove a 2015 LTZ with 22" wheels (and didn't care for wheels that large).

Before I go test drive the Z71 and potentially buy it tomorrow---is the suspension sprung pretty tight? I found the LTZ with the magnetic ride to be a bit too "floaty" for my tastes. I do a lot of driving on back country roads and prefer a tighter more rigid suspension setup. Yeah, I know those SR-A tires are terrible and will have to go. I had AT-Revos on my 2004.

So for on-road handling is there anything that I am going to immediatelly notice behind the wheen of the Z71? Is it going to feel wobbly and bouncy? Or will it be tight? Just curious. Sorry for the stupid questions. I'm just curious how it feels to some of the veterans here.

Regards,
John

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question too. Does the z71 have the air shocks in the rear or just hydrolic all the way around?

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the Z71 has the Max Tow option it WILL NOT have air shocks in the rear. I drove a Z71 before I bought the Max Tow I have and found the Max Tow to be a bit tighter and more responsive on the road. Off road is probably a different story.

OP
OP
S

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless the Z71 has the Max Tow option it WILL NOT have air shocks in the rear. I drove a Z71 before I bought the Max Tow I have and found the Max Tow to be a bit tighter and more responsive on the road. Off road is probably a different story.

Thanks John. I just checked, and the Max Towing Package doesn't seem to be an option with the Z71. So it seems that Z71 limits a lot of choices.

I might have to reconsider choices. Good points, sir.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ltz. I like the hid headlights and magnetic ride. Next time around, I think I'm going with a loaded lt. The dealers will install the hid's and the magnetic ride is pretty nice but not 8k $ nice.

OP
OP
S

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the ltz. I like the hid headlights and magnetic ride. Next time around, I think I'm going with a loaded lt. The dealers will install the hid's and the magnetic ride is pretty nice but not 8k $ nice.

Thanks Steve. I'll check out both options.

bgsntth

Reaction score
I was told you could not get the rear air with the Z71. I have a Suburban Z71.

The Z71 ride is much more controlled than the base LT. Not rougher, but wheel movements are more controlled and firm. Rarely gets into the bumpstops. Handling is more controlled with less body roll. If I had my preference, I would actually prefer a little firmer dampening, but it is very nice as is. Feels like when I have added premium large diameter dampers to one of my prior vehicles - which GM did with the Z71. I strongly prefer the Z71 suspension to the base LT. I have not driven the LTZ or Max Tow - no interest, but spent thousands of miles in 2015 LT rental Burbs. I have an offroad review of the 2016 Z71 in the Offroad\Z71 section.

OP
OP
S

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told you could not get the rear air with the Z71. I have a Suburban Z71.

The Z71 ride is much more controlled than the base LT. Not rougher, but wheel movements are more controlled and firm. Rarely gets into the bumpstops. Handling is more controlled with less body roll. If I had my preference, I would actually prefer a little firmer dampening, but it is very nice as is. Feels like when I have added premium large diameter dampers to one of my prior vehicles - which GM did with the Z71. I strongly prefer the Z71 suspension to the base LT. I have not driven the LTZ or Max Tow - no interest, but spent thousands of miles in 2015 LT rental Burbs. I have an offroad review of the 2016 Z71 in the Offroad\Z71 section.

Thanks BG...I'll check out your review.

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having purchased the 2015 Z71 I'd have to concur with other that the ride is much more controlled with this suspension vs. the LT. Just this week I had a 2016 LT Tahoe for a rental and the body roll was much more noticeable. It almost felt like a really low tire but they were fine. It is more of a floating feel. When leaving long term parking driving my Z71 I immediately noticed the more controlled feel just as I turned on to the highway. I also test drove the LTZ and after looking at the spec's the LT with the Sun and Destination and Luxury packages along with the Z71 was nearly 8K less. Magnetic ride seemed to be a nice feature but not for one's who will take there truck into the sticks and mud.

LGSONE

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the rental lt have autoride air shocks or just the premium ride.

When I had the non air ride systems, I always changed (when new) the shocks to bilsteins.
When I had the autoride, I left everything alone. These were the 07-14 model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts