Considering 2014 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

annstruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off, thank you for the forum. There is a lot to read but I wanted to throw out this question asap as we are on schedule.

We were inspecting 2014 Yukon XL Denali (6.2) with 133k. The top of the oil dip stick appeared as though it were varnished.
Carfax showed nothing but license and registration for the first 95k, then regular oil changes around 5k.

The discoloration and the absence of records had us worried that it had been run on little to no oil.
I came and compared it to our 2007 Avalanche and there was no such discoloration.

I am having the vehicle sent for 3rd party pre-purchase inspection.

Question 1: should (or how much should) we be concerned about the discoloration?
Question 2: are there any special instructions i should ask of the inspector specific to these vehicles?
Question 3: would a skilled tech be able to determine whether # 10-06-01-008M: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block/Iron Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder and/or Install Updated Valve Cover) - (Nov 26, 2014) had been addressed?

Thank you in advance.

Maybe ann's new truck

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dipstick runs against the exhaust manifold, so some discoloration is normal. If the owner did their own oil changes, the Carfax wouldn’t show them. I’d be more interested in pulling a valve cover to inspect underneath for sludge but I doubt a seller would let you do that. Shine your flashlight down the oil filler neck and get a look. Should be only clean, oiled metal in there.

Lots of things to check, but don’t have time to list them all at the moment. Listen for any valve lifter noise at all. The engine should be quiet and free of any tapping/knocking noises. Have the inspector check that the rear air shocks are in good shape and that the compressor for them cycles on a few seconds after the engine is started.

A 2014 should already have the updated valve cover design so that service bulletin shouldn’t apply.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The discoloration on the dipstick is very normal. A 2014 would already have the updated valve cover and relief valve shield in the oil pan and the fixed piston rings. The AFM lifters can still fail though so best get the AFM turned off in the tune to kick the can down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons