Complete Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So my 2000 Tahoe Limited is in desperate need of a suspension overhaul. The truck is all original with 208K miles on it. I've done a ton of work not that long ago, honestly it runs really well. But the steering wanders pretty badly and it rattles in the front over any bump. Many of the bushings are essentially gone. So I'm going to start gathering parts and do everything, front and rear, to try and get it riding well again.

I would like to lower it, maybe 2'' or so, I've seen a lot of people do that. But I want to have a good ride quality, is that possible? I've also been debating if it woudl be worth going air suspension. Anyone have any comments on an air suspension on their car? It may not be worth the investment. The truck is basically a third car for us, mainly used when we need to move something large, or if I'm working on one of the other cars. But it's paid for, cheap to own, and so I'm not planning to get rid of it any time soon. Just needs to ride better :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do 2” drop spindles up front and drop springs in the rear. Beltech makes good stuff, I have it on mine. That should make it ride as good as or better than what you have now. Do you know if you have autolevel or autoride on yours? If so, you’ll need to either modify it or eliminate it. As far as air bags, unless you want to spend many thousands I woukdntbrecommdnd that route. Money would be better spent on getting rid of the torsion bars and doing a coil over conversion on the front for around $1500.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Rocket Man, drop spindles up front and lowering springs in the rear should be less than $500-$600 and if you get shock extenders in the rear you can keep the factory shocks. Although, they are probably worn out by now. The next best upgrade is the Coilover swap upfront with lowering springs in the rear and you can do matching shocks in the rear as well. I have that setup and it's very nice. If you're just driving this truck occasionally and not planning to race or drive aggressively I'd personally go with the more affordable option of drop spindles and lowering springs. For shocks get some Bilstein 4600s and it will ride as good as stock.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No plans to race it, or hot rod it. We have taken it on road trips. I was thinking spindles up front. Airbags seem cool, but I figured it would be really expensive. I have one other project car I'm trying to get back on the road, then will start gathering parts for the Tahoe.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what has been recommended and would like to add go with rubber bushings and not poly.
If you’re going to make a recommendation you probably should explain your reasoning. I have poly bushings throughout and wouldn’t want rubber. Poly lasts longer and is stiffer for more rigidity so my suspension feels tighter. Why do you recommend rubber?

rchurch5945

Reaction score
If you’re going to make a recommendation you probably should explain your reasoning. I have poly bushings throughout and wouldn’t want rubber. Poly lasts longer and is stiffer for more rigidity so my suspension feels tighter. Why do you recommend rubber?
I have poly throughout mine too and the ride is a little harsh. he said he wants a close to stock ride and in my experience the poly is just a little too much. I wish I would have gone with rubber.

I have a 69 Chevelle SS and it has tubular control arms front and rear and poly bushings and I love it but it was built for driving hard. The Tahoe was built for cruising.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have poly throughout mine too and the ride is a little harsh. he said he wants a close to stock ride and in my experience the poly is just a little too much. I wish I would have gone with rubber.

I have a 69 Chevelle SS and it has tubular control arms front and rear and poly bushings and I love it but it was built for driving hard. The Tahoe was built for cruising.
Lol. Poly bushings making it ride hard? It must be something else like shocks or springs to blame. Bushings have little to no effect on ride quality in my experience, they just tighten up the handling. I thought you were going to say they squeak unless you keep them lubed, which can be the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts