Code p0172 and p0175

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vertical99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 tahoe z71 with a 5.3l motor not flex. I got these 2 codes (p0172 and p0175) so i figured it was the MAF sensor. I read a article that said if you unplug the sensor and the truck stalls the MAF sensor is ok, if the truck keeps running then your MAF sensor is bad. So i unplugged the sensor and the truck kept running so I bought a new MAF sensor and installed it . I started the truck and unplugged the sensor once again and the truck kept running with the new MAF sensor installed. should i replace the wiring harness to the sensor or is there a fuse that could be bad. i do not have any stalling issues and the truck starts great everyday I get a check engine light and fuel economy is bad. Thanks in advance AL

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have a 2003 tahoe z71 with a 5.3l motor not flex. I got these 2 codes (p0172 and p0175) so i figured it was the MAF sensor. I read a article that said if you unplug the sensor and the truck stalls the MAF sensor is ok, if the truck keeps running then your MAF sensor is bad. So i unplugged the sensor and the truck kept running so I bought a new MAF sensor and installed it . I started the truck and unplugged the sensor once again and the truck kept running with the new MAF sensor installed. should i replace the wiring harness to the sensor or is there a fuse that could be bad. i do not have any stalling issues and the truck starts great everyday I get a check engine light and fuel economy is bad. Thanks in advance AL

Those are generic rich codes. There are any number of causes. The most effective way to diagnose is with a scanner.

It could be MAF, but you just replaced that. When's the last time you cleaned /changed your air filter? Plugs/wires? Could be O2 sensors or MAP sensor...

What kind of gas are you running?

OP
OP
V

vertical99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those are generic rich codes. There are any number of causes. The most effective way to diagnose is with a scanner.

It could be MAF, but you just replaced that. When's the last time you cleaned /changed your air filter? Plugs/wires? Could be O2 sensors or MAP sensor...

What kind of gas are you running?

Just bought the truck a week ago. running 87 octane have not done the plugs and wires yet. i did change the air filter. what about when i unplug the MAf shouldn't it stall the motor. when i unplug this one the motor keeps running.

01DenaliHiker

Reaction score
My truck runs just fine with the MAF unplugged, I've tuned it out multiple times to the point it was negligent to even have plugged in when I was tuning. (IAT doesn't function if you're unplugged)

I've heard the MAF unplugged trick hundreds of times though, always seemed to be the way to go about it with Ford's. They can't live without it.

Sounds like another issue considering you've wandered that route. A good live data tuner would be the best way of targeting anything it could actually be. Beats throwing parts at guessing.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just bought the truck a week ago. running 87 octane have not done the plugs and wires yet. i did change the air filter. what about when i unplug the MAf shouldn't it stall the motor. when i unplug this one the motor keeps running.

The truck is designed to keep running if the sensor is disconnected or bad. The ECM uses TPS data to "estimate" load is the MAF is out of range or missing.

OP
OP
V

vertical99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck is designed to keep running if the sensor is disconnected or bad. The ECM uses TPS data to "estimate" load is the MAF is out of range or missing.

Do you think it could be the wire harness and the connector to the Maf sensor. I will be changing the plugs and wires this weekend

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Do you think it could be the wire harness and the connector to the Maf sensor. I will be changing the plugs and wires this weekend

I guess it could be. Does a good visual inspection give you reason to think that? What does your 02 sensor and MAP data look like?

OP
OP
V

vertical99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

So I changed the spark plugs and wires. Now the p0172 and p0175 are gone. The new code is p0300 random misfire. The plugs and wires that were on the truck had to be the original ones they looked really bad. Do you think one of the coils are bad . Thanks.

OP
OP
V

vertical99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I changed the spark plugs and wires. Now the p0172 and p0175 are gone. The new code is p0300 random misfire. The plugs and wires that were on the truck had to be the original ones they looked really bad. Do you think one of the coils are bad . Thanks.

I put ac delco wires and NGK iridium plugs

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Try swapping them around and see if the misfire follows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu