Clunk noise not u joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Familytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Chevy Tahoe 4 wheel drive. Truck started to make a clunking noise when shifting while driving when changing gears.. does not do it when I take off real slow.. slid under the truck and tried to wiggle the driveshaft around and there is no play so I do not suspect it is the U-joint and the transmission was changed less than 15K ago.

Any advice I have Sunday to look at it?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard the torsion bar mounts can come loose.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the bolts on driveshaft (after blocking so it doesn't roll) and see how much backlash is in your differential.That's what was causing my clunk.

OP
OP
F

Familytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Chevy Tahoe 4 wheel drive. Truck started to make a clunking noise when shifting while driving when changing gears.. does not do it when I take off real slow.. slid under the truck and tried to wiggle the driveshaft around and there is no play so I do not suspect it is the U-joint and the transmission was changed less than 15K ago.

Any advice I have Sunday to look at it?
Update now it doesn't have reverse and in drive it takes forever to shift into gear

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you check the trans fluid level? low fluid will cause this.