Clunk (hard shift?) when accelerating up a steep hill? Other noises too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live on the crest of a hill on a rural country road. Speed limit is 35, but I never get close to that knowing I'll need to stop to turn into my driveway. While the hill is steep, it isn't very long, maybe a few hundred feet at most. When I start up the steeper side of the hill, I may have to push down on the gas pedal a bit more to maintain constant speed of around 15-20 MPH. At some point while climbing, it shifts and there is a some kind of clunk. I can't tell if it's a hard shift or not.

There are some other noises at various times that I can't really identify. Almost seems the sound a heat shield might make if loose ... a metallic type rattling.

Sometimes when staring out from a dead stop (traffic light, stop sign), I'll hear/feel something too, but that seems like a U-Joint or similar.

I'm not mechanical enough to express these better, or to get under it and do much testing/checking. Just wondering fi I need to have it looked into deeper that the simple inspection done a couple of weeks ago where there was no road test done.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live on the crest of a hill on a rural country road. Speed limit is 35, but I never get close to that knowing I'll need to stop to turn into my driveway. While the hill is steep, it isn't very long, maybe a few hundred feet at most. When I start up the steeper side of the hill, I may have to push down on the gas pedal a bit more to maintain constant speed of around 15-20 MPH. At some point while climbing, it shifts and there is a some kind of clunk. I can't tell if it's a hard shift or not.

There are some other noises at various times that I can't really identify. Almost seems the sound a heat shield might make if loose ... a metallic type rattling.

Sometimes when staring out from a dead stop (traffic light, stop sign), I'll hear/feel something too, but that seems like a U-Joint or similar.

I'm not mechanical enough to express these better, or to get under it and do much testing/checking. Just wondering fi I need to have it looked into deeper that the simple inspection done a couple of weeks ago where there was no road test done.
is this vehicle new to you? or are these noises and such something that has just cropped up since you have owned it?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spider gears in the rear could be getting sloppy.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a harsh, late 1-2 shift. Could be a couple things:

1). Valve body/TCC regulator valve/bore wearing

2). Broken 1-2 accumulator springs

A light “clunk” from 1-2 or from 3-2 is normal, especially if a shift kit and “corvette” second gear apply servo piston has been installed

This assumes its the transmission and not something else.

Metallic rattling is likely a heat shield, esp if its coming from around the transmission area (trans heat shield). Check to make sure the 10mm bolts holding it on arent loose.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it should be checked out, it's a 25yo vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh